Rain sensor pergola design help

In the next couple months I’m starting construction on an outdoor kitchen. A Solara pergola will be installed. The louvers are controlled with a 12v linear actuator. The actuator is adjusted using the supplied module and comes with an RF remote and wall switch. I’m trying to find more information on the controller but do not yet have any specifics.

Here’s what I’d like to do: I want a rain droplet sensor to tell the actuator to close the louvers. I just don’t know the best way to do this. Of course the louvers should also be controllable via a wall switch and the Hubitat app.

I realize any ideas cannot be finalized until I have more information about the control module, but any preliminary ideas would be appreciated!

I use a diy solution that is working flawlessly for over two years.

It consists in a cheap rain sensor board for Arduino connected to an Aqara flood sensor, everything mounted on a 3D printed case.

Aqara flood sensor

Arduino rain sensor

3D case

The mounting is so simple: you just connect the board to the exposed contacts of the flood sensor; if the board becomes wet the flood sensor contact is closed, and trigger any automation you want. I use this solution here to inform if there are open windows when it starts to rain.

3 Likes

Just curious, but what if you were to print a funnel shaped case, then mount the waterproof flood sensor upside down at the bottom where the rain collects.

Sounds like a smart setup. No actual Arduino, correct? I never want to have to program another one of those! :joy:

Second @marcusvrsilva's suggestion. Instead of the flood sensor you could also wire it to the reed switch pads of a xiaomi or similar contact sensor. Place the board at an angle to let water drain away dry more quickly.

Yeah I prefer to use something that is hard wired rather than battery powered. The contact sensor hack sounds like it could work.

Rather than rely on something that has to communicate through the hub to close the louvers during a downpour, I'd rather have something hard-wired to complete the task. I may need to use a Zooz multirelay since it can act as a dry contact relay - would be triggered by the Arduino droplet sensor to close the louvers, bypassing the hub. I need to find out what Solara uses to control the linear actuator. They told me it uses some kind of module with RF remotes. I'm not sure if it can be controlled by a simple on/off switch like the multirelay would have. Another option, I suppose, would be to look at the Somfy smart pergola controls, but even with that I'd have to do some retrofitting but at a greater expense.

I think you can also the rain attribute from a Hubitat weather driver. No physical device needed but of course it's based on the weather forecast.

Exactly! You just use the board directly connected to the sensor.

in that case you will only know that it is raining after the rain has started for some time, whereas a simple drop will activate the sensor if using the board.

This is the suggested device. Inside the box is the flood sensor, wich is directly connected to the little Arduino board - I discarded the circuit and used just the board. When it receives a single drop an annouce sounds in my home saying that it is raining and if there is some window open. It has been working for almost two years without need of a battery change.

1 Like

That looks really nice! I may use the 3D printed case and sensor, but prefer not to rely on a battery powered device. Also prefer not to rely on the hub to close the louvers.

I’ve ordered a Qubino flush shutter and I’m going to see if I can use the rain sensor in place of the temperature sensor. The flush shutter looks pretty awesome! Can order a remote to control it. Can fit inside a junction box and be controlled by a wall switch, has a terminal for a sensor, and it’s a z-wave device.

I went ahead and ordered the sensor, flush shutter, and the linear actuator and will tinker with it in the next couple weeks.

Good luck, @cgroatpottery. The most important thing in automation is that the result meets your expectations, whatever the solution adopted!

Much appreciated. Sorry to see Brazil heading home from Qatar. I think Richarlison had the best goal of the tournament…

1 Like

Here’s what it looks like. I’ll tidy it up and put it all in a waterproof box. Will use that 3D printed mount for the sensor. Basically have the sensor connected to an Arduino which uses an H-bridge to tell the motor what to do. Using the Qubino as the motor controller which will have a remote, wall switch, and is z-wave. The Arduino program tells the louvers to close when it’s raining and open when it’s not. Works nicely. Tried to upload a video but it won’t accept the file type.

1 Like

Looks great. You may also use the same trigger to create a rule using Echo Speaks to notify when it starts to rain.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.