R-Rated Posts (Fun With Flags...)

You would think I was either into ponies or woodwork as a child, thinking I am either climbing onto a high-horse or soap-box, but neither is even close... I sit on a 3-point adjustable ergonomic high-chair.... :slight_smile:

On a serious note....

I'd like to think we are all adults here.... if not, I'd suggest avoiding the Cartoons topic.... :wink:

But seriously now....

If people want to post stuff that others or the Hubitat organisation find difficult, can we at least be given an opportunity to form our own opinions? Maybe a 24 hour window.... Granted some posts deserve to be hidden pretty quick, but there a some that surely could be given time for us to form our own lesser opinion of those that post them....?

1 Like

I want to flag this post sooooo bad! (just for fun) But there isn't an unflag button, lol

:grin:

1 Like

Perhaps we need a "fun" flag.... :slight_smile:

or a NSFW (not safe for work) flag!

1 Like

I could think of a few likely candidates..... more so than me.... not the topic of my post.... but still worth a chuckle.... :slight_smile:

Some will even try to subvert posts like this by solving them.... :wink:

1 Like

Or perhaps that a gentle nudge to not rock the boat.... Hmmm.... It is tempting.....

It's a fine line. In my younger days I moderated a number of forums and there was always at least one poster that you needed to shutdown and keep their posts shut to maintain the community's guidelines or just to keep garbage and hate off of the forum. That being said there are times that I miss being able to peek without unmasking at what has offended someone enough to flag it.

2 Likes

@sburke781 -

I'm not sure if you are referring to the post that was recently in the time-out room. If you were, as far as I know, the post was not flagged. Rather, the user was deleted, which unlisted the topic.

Here's the little bit I know:

1. That individual, under a different username, was initially banned for multiple infractions of the community guidelines. Along with other egregious acts, including:

• digging into the private lives of Hubitat staff/employees.
    • contacting Hubitat staff/employees/community users through private means not involving the community.
    • repeatedly creating conditions that consume an excessive amount of moderators/staff time.
  2. After their initial account was banned (after multiple warnings to change their approach to the community and community members), the individual created multiple additional usernames on the community. And each of these alternative usernames gradually regressed to the online behavior that got the original username banned.

3. Hubitat staff don't have an endless amount of time at their disposal to police the community. Everyone has a Hubitat day-job, be it software/hardware engineering or support engineering. For Hubitat staff to continue the level of innovation they've shown over the last 6 years requires some degree of self-discipline on the part of community users. Decisions to ban a user are made only when that user's online behavior degrades the experience of other community users, and compromises the ability of Hubitat staff to do their jobs.

9 Likes

My first reaction is usually:

4 Likes

Yeah, it is, I get the likely reasons, though not all one's I am aware of.... My preference would be to be given a little more time to determine that myself... Though I guess that can be subjective given your level of awareness of the situation....

1 Like

BTW, happy for this topic to be moved as well, if needed....

Yeah that user in general caused a lot of behind the scenes turmoil. After bringing a comment made to them personally (they solicited the info) they tried to cause strife by involving the community. The powers that be (and certainly not myself) brought down th banhammer. One of the things I love about this place is that we all tend to get along and not let trolls skate by or cause unnecessary arguments. There is always someone around with a deft touch when they do start spiraling. Only on a rare occasion does the iron gauntlet of fate seem to be worn and an offender dealt with. At least that's always been my observation. As to R rated posts? Well. Most of my are PG-13, or me channeling my inner 12 year old....lol

1 Like

Don't make me flag your post.

3 Likes

Only meant in jest, and not directed to you Rick... Or anyone, really...

1 Like

Now we are all at risk.... :wink:

i may be an adult by definition, but i have the humor of a child

i'm all for open discussion and conversations, and having everyone be their authentic self, but this is a forum for a product, don't want to deviate much from that. i guess Lounge can be used for stuff, but then how far off the beaten path gets allowed?

3 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, there’s a degree of configuration that Discourse allows forum owners to apply to flags, in terms of what it takes for a flagged post to be temporarily hidden, and whether users can choose to unhide it.

Over time, it would seem that Hubitat staff have even changed the setting re: unhiding posts.

I enjoyed seeing temporarily hidden posts as much as the next guy.

But the staff are going to set the rules in this forum the way they think makes the most sense, and there’s unlikely to be much discussion about it from their end.

3 Likes

Yeah, the more I think about it the less value I see in having posts available to see prior to being removed. If the moderators feel there is a need to remove a post of topic then there is limited value in waiting. The reasons for it may also not be immediately apparent from the post itself.

I was never looking to have abusive, derogatory or offensive posts left in place for any length of time, more just ones where there may be more nuance to where they cross the line. But the more I try to explain it the more I convince myself it's not a good idea. I also agree with @dadarkgtprince , this is also a forum for a product. Like most things, I'm overthinking things.... :slightly_smiling_face: