Quick question on updating Zigbee mesh with new devices - does the mesh auto update?

Hi All.

I am very new to Hubitat.
My zigbee network completely died the other day. I assume its as its not been "built" more "chucked together" as I buy bits. I plan on unpairing everything and starting again in a logical order.

The two items I've had the most issue with are IKEA outlets. They are less than a meter apart. They would randomly stop working. not always the same one.
I assume its something to do with my network.

questions.
1- is it necessary to pair "repeaters" before other no repeating sensors?
2- will a device update its route back to the hub when a new repeater is added, or does it keep its original route?
3a- do bulbs act as repeaters (gu10s from IKEA, phillips HUE)
3b - if these are not on, but are part of the route - does this muck up the netowrk?

THANKS YOU :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Not really, but the hub can only have a maximum of 32 non repeating devices (child devices). Adding repeaters increases the number and isn’t considered in the 32 device limit. Also, Zigbee is not “long range” and devices use less power if they have strong repeaters nearby to route through as opposed to routing all the way back to the hub.

Yes. Zigbee is self healing.

Yes, but some older Hue, GE, Osram, and Cree are terrible at it.

Yes it does, and can cause devices to lose connection to the hub.

I'd really suggest you put your bulbs on a separate zigbee network. I do this with a Hue hub, though I am not sure if the Ikea bulbs will work on a Hue hub.

Even if a smart bulb acts as a decent repeater, a dumb switch will overcome a smart bulb any day. And a smart bulb that has no power isnt a good repeater.

1 Like

If you are new to Zigbee, I suggest you get several Zigbee smartplugs to act as repeaters. Unlike Z-wave repeaters, Zigbee plugs are rather inexpensive. Initially, I used eWeLink smartplugs, but since have started buying Third Reality plugs

I lost a couple of eWeLink plugs during a recent ice storm when the power went out. I guess the power surge damaged them. The eWeLink devices were rated at 10 amps resistive. The Third Reality plugs are rated at 15 amps, so I am hopeful that they will be more robust. The Third Reality plugs currently available have power monitoring as well; that is something that is not available with many brands. If you purchase 4 plugs, they are less than $10 each, which is a real bargain.

https://www.amazon.com/THIRDREALITY-Zigbee-Smart-Plug/dp/B0BPY5D1KC?th=1

I have a dozen smartplugs placed strategically around my house to insure that Zigbee devices are always within 20 ft of a repeater. As a result, the only time my devices do not connect is when their batteries run down.

One thing I'd add is some bulbs don't repeat, intentionally, to keep them "out of the way." One brand like that is Sengled Zigbee bulbs.

Which hub do you have (C7, C8?) and what firmware are you running. There are known issues w/the C8 right now and its Zigbee network that you may be experieincing.

1 Like

Thank you for the responses,

Nothing in my place is going to be long range - Furthers point from the Hub will be <8m . But the Signal path is complicated by a thick stone chimney in the centre of the property.

I'll likely take the HUE bulbs away. only got hem as they where included in an amazon offer.
I'm aiming for either Ceiling rose relays or smart switches (though lack on neutral in UK houses is a pain for this!)

Can you exclude the IKEA bulbs from the mesh? I only have one zigbee hub, and eventually will have them switched with a wall switch. but controlled by scenes.

I'm planning on installing a few click smart sockets aroudn the house, once I have the funds. hopefully these act as a decent repeater. in conjunction with the IKEA oulets.

Hub is a C7, purchased back end of last year. can't remember exact firmware. but not old. need to update really. (at work now so can't check)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.