Questions on using Raw Socket Interface

Would I then have to modify the driver to add or delete a new physical X10 device? (versus adding a new virtual device per physical X10 device.

Not necessarily... You could create a custom command to the parent like "addChildSwitch()". You would then simply add child device. To remove a child device, you could simply go to that device and "Remove" it.

You'll need to somehow keep track of the X-10 address for each of these devices. Perhaps you could embed that information into their Device Name, and use the Device Label field to make it easy to know what the device really is. The Parent would then parse the information needed to send the TCP command from the child device's name.

There are options, but you may need to get creative if you really want the flexibility of dynamically adding and removing the child devices.

Personally, I'd replace all of the X-10 with Lutron Caseta and be done with it! :wink: But, at the same time, I can understand and appreciate what you're trying to build.

2 Likes

Mostly, I wanted the earning experience. I have much more stuff I've done over the years that I want to migrate to HE. And, utilize the AlexaSpeaks app -- hopefully I won't have to keep dealing with cookie expiration or captchas being presented to code while doing 2FA

But, really, what I've done already is working fine, except parse is getting called 9 times instead of just once. It doesn't really hurt anything, and I'm not going to add any more X10 devices. It was much easier than replace 9 wall switches that have worked reliably (literally) for decades.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.