Questions for MQTT Experts

I am trying to automate my Smart Beds (Reverie 5D).
The controller is BLE/WiFi enabled. There are Reverie Nightstand app for local BLE control and
cloud-based integration with Alexa and/or Google Home. For the begging I tried the Alexa
integration. It works but only partially. For some reason not all commands are going through.
I complained about this problem to Reverie mentioned that Alexa actually is not very welcome
middle man. Surprisingly the Reverie tech support sent me a lot of confidential info how to
connect directly to the Amazon AWS MQTT (all 3 required certificates files, secret MQTT Topic
and MQTT Commands). I tested this with MQTT Explorer and everything is working perfectly fine.
So, I have all required info handy but now I am trying to get this working ideally directly from
HE (looks like this is not possible at least at this time) or from Home Assistant.
On HA I already have running Mosquitto MQTT Broker and using this one successfully for the
integration with BLE Beacons. So, I tried to configure a MQTT Bridge but so far unsuccessfully.
Of course, I am asking all MQTT related questions on the HA forum but so far did not get any
useful response. I am not even sure if Bridge is working or not. Logs did not show any errors
but also did not show any evidence Bridge is working.
Just in case, I tried to use the suggested mosquitto_pub command from HA Terminal window:

To my BIG surprise, I am seeing exactly the same results regardless if Mosquitto MQTT Broker
is Started or Stopped. So, I am very confused with my observed results.

I am hopping HE MQTT Experts (I am sure there are few around) may provide me some hints
or ideas how to get this working.

just for fun, try setting your MQTT password to something simple, without spaces, capitals or punctuation, like 123dontguessme, aka only numbers & letters

There is no passwords. Amazon AWS MQTT access requires certificates.
But anyway, now I got it working and I am all set.

1 Like

Did you ever make much progress with this. I have something that appears to use the AWS IOT Core with MQTT as well. I would love to see an example of how you got this going through AWS.

Yes, 100% success.
But my setup involves Home Assistance with Mosquitto MQTT Broker.
Also you will need all 3 security files for AWS such as *_CA.pem, *.pem.crt and *_private.pem.key

On the HE side I am using app/driver designed by Kevin Hawkins:

Support via Hubitat community beta threads
[OLD] MQTT app beta1 and pre beta2 - please use beta3 thread
You can contact me via PM on that forum @kevin

If you are interested in and have (or will set it up) Home Assistant with Mosquitto MQTT Broker
and of course, have all AWS required components I can provide you how to configure HA.
HE is pretty much straight forward.

May do it just for the learning aspect of it. My goal would be to use the MQTT method to connect to the AWS IOT Core directly though. The big thing i am trying to figure out though is how to get the Certs needed.

Getting the AmazonAWS ca cert doesn't seem hard, but the client cert and private key are a different story. It looks like they are obtainable via the AWS IOT Core SDK, but i was hoping for a method to just obtain it from a API. of some kind.

Actually I have no idea how to get all these certificates.
The Reverie (this is my smart bed) support simply emailed me all these files ready to go.