Question - Device Firmware Updater - Built In

Finally decided to get around to updating my Inovelli Red LZW31-SN to the latest production version.

Using the built in app, I uploaded the 1.57.otz and 1.45.bin from the innovelli site. Then started the target 0 update. The file started immediately showing progress, then jumped back to the update firmware screen (without a progress bar) about 5 seconds later. I KNOW the upload is not done. How to I see the progress so that I do not start the target 1 update too soon and cause issues?

Or, will starting target 1 just queue the download and it will happen eventually?

With this in mind, I believe I need to go to the device and save preferences when all is done. How will I know when that is with no progress bar?

This is what I am seeing while waiting for the update to complete

What my logs say

That is not expected behaviour. Once you click "Start Update" the progress bar should go from 0 to 100%. The fastest update of a red dimmer I was able to get, was 30 minutes. You may need to power cycle the switch and try again. Note that if the switch is far away from your hub, or you have a busy Z-Wave mesh, you may not be able to successfully update the firmware, and attempting to do so, in those conditions, may result in a bricked switch.

Will power cycling abort the download without any consequences? For the record, I did power cycle the switch (on/off) after air gap to wake up the switch prior to starting the update.

Should also state that the security is set to none.

If you see the screen with "Start Update", the download was already stopped safely.

The device is still generating events. Should I reboot the hub to stop the app?

Mind sharing a screenshot of the events that is generating?

Thanks, I meant from the Current Logs.

It was not generating any log event other than the ones in my original post. The ones from the device page were all AFTER the log events for the app in the original post. I have no log events posted for the dimmer itself.

Please see my PM.

I was having an issue like this and I ended up power cycling the device and the hub. Still having issues, so I deleted the firmware app and reinstalled it. That let it work.

Still cannot get it to actually complete an update on any of the 700 series devices that take the binary files. Always says the firmware does not match the target device. Use the same file on PC Controller and it works fine.

1 Like

I have tried updating firmware on a couple of devices. On an Aeotec range extender, i got to 17% after 8 hours and it stopped. On a Zooz zen16 I made it to 25% when it stopped after 16 hours. I did do the power cycle on the hub, but no help. I think I may need to unplug my Zooz power monitoring plugs as they can generate a lot of traffic. I have several devices I want to upgrade, so gettinng a USB stick might save me a lot of frustration.

That is not the issue. The issue was that it immediately returned to the start update page.

There was some strangeness going on with my Zwave table such that it is not properly reporting the security status of my devices. So, I am going to remove and re-pair them all and wait a few more weeks for the table to stabilize. This way, I will KNOW they are not S2 security.

The issue a few months ago was that I had paired all the Inovelli as S2 originally (before they were giving advice not to) I went to start re-pairing them as none, but they were already showing up as none. Rebooted, repaired the mesh, hard shutdown, they were all still saying none (Even though I KNEW I had paired them S2 to begin with)

Well, in troubleshooting this one, I did a single device repair, and low and behold, it came back as S2. Did the same for the others I had, and they came back as S2 also.

So, I am gonna remove each one, re-pair as none, give it a few weeks, and try again.