Question about Yale Real Living zwave lock and hubitat

Hi folks - Was looking for some input. I currently have Hubitat integrated with my home automation system, which is primarily based around Home Control Assistant (HCA). I've been using hubitat for a variety of zwave and zigbee switches, plugs, sensors and bulbs. However, I've set up my Yale YRD210 using a Leviton interface. I've programmed the original codes in on the lock's keypad. And written programs in HCA to control it and get various status and reports.

The coding is kind of a pain as it requires sending and decoding the specific Zwave commands - but it's stable. I've considered switching over to LCM in hubitat which seems like it would be much easier to use - but I've seen that some folks have troubling getting it to work. I'd love the better interface but don't want to lose stability.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

The Yales have generally been a good line of locks to pair with HE. I had trouble with my YRD256 a while ago (year or so ago using a C-4 hub) and swapped out the module with a Zigbee one - however there are a bunch of people in this community who have had great experiences with their Z-Wave modules and the HE hubs and firmware have changed since then so ymmv.

1 Like

I have two Yales, the most recent is one of their Lever Locks. Both are using ZWave and I have moved them back and forth between my oldest C-3 hub and now both are on my newest C-7 hub.

I feel that because they are Barrier Devices, the limitations in the specs tend to fight us. I began with Joining them (to the C-3, when it was all I had) and it fought me til I got a good enough mesh. In other words, I joined it last and that was much better than trying to join it first.

For the Lever Lock, because it was a recent acquisition, with a good stable mesh, it joined to the C-3 easily. When I got the C-7, one of the first devices I joined was an Aeon Repeater 7 and then I moved the Yale Lever lock from the C-3 to the C-7 and that was smooth too.

Barrier devices (Locks and Garage Door Openers) really benefit from a good mesh. And it's my experience that the mysterious process of the mesh choosing a Beaming device, takes more than a couple minutes. Which I translate into: join last. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks both - that's encouraging. I only have a few zwave devices currently but I ordered a couple of those AEOTEC Range Extenders (7 Series), and I'll get those in place before attempting this. Will LCM or other Hubitat functionality allow me to send notification about who entered their code, battery state, lock state, etc?

Oh also - will I need to completely reset the lock and enter everything from scratch?

Maybe, but that's in your area of expertise. If you can Exclude the Lock and then Include it successfully, then the Hubitat driver will go out an poll the lock for it's values. Be aware that this can take a good long time since there are 250 'slots' to poll.

As long as you don't Factory reset the lock, then the codes will remain available.

(As I mentioned, I recently moved this lock to a new Hub and although the codes are intact, I haven't gotten the names back... yet.)

Here are the Attributes you can 'react to':

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 9.19.48 PM

"lastCodeName" is the attribute for who locked/unlocked it. I use this info to send Notifications to my phone.

1 Like

Perfect - that's what I was looking for - thank you!
So it appears you don't have access to other information about the lock? For instance, the lock can send zwave codes to indicate it was locked/unlocked from the inside, it's jammed or tampered, multiple wrong codes entered, etc. Appears that the driver/app for this is strictly focused on user codes and battery. Is that correct?
Are the raw codes visible in events? They typically look something like n003: followed by several comma-delimited triplet numbers, eg n003: 178,200,200,000
(Sorry for all the questions - the LCM documentation is minimal, so it doesn't seem that I can determine this without actually joining a lock to the system).

I think I'd agree, mostly. If I remember correctly, physical is reported as Code 251 (one more than code slots.) I've never had a jam or tamper, so I can't say what happens. I imagine others in the Community have and will respond.

LCM isn't doing a lot beyond acquiring the list of codes on the device and then allowing you to "manage them" via the UI. In other words, you could visit each Lock's Device Info page and use the provided UI button to manipulate Lock Codes:

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 7.39.18 AM

Or use LCM to perform the "visit each lock" portion. It's a good app but be sure to interpret "Manager" at a lowish level. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.