Question about dimmers and switches and instant status

In reading the various forum posts, I am confused about what I should be doing about my dimmers and switches with regards to instant status.

The switches are GE 12722 and the dimmers are Evolve LRM-AS. After firmware 1.0.6.709 I removed my rule to poll the switches and dimmers and tested the status reporting. I got the impression (may or may not be right!) that the non-smart dimmer and switch drivers had been updated to do something to handle the instant status. It appeared that all the dimmers were reporting instant status, but not the switches, so I created another rule to poll the switches. Last night I updated the firmware to 1.0.7.10 also.

Everything seemed OK until this morning, hubby called to say that none of the switches were working with Alexa. I brought up the dashboard and sadly, they were not responding there either, but the dimmers were working fine. I will take a look when I get home tonight, but am wondering if my rule to poll is causing some sort of problem, especially if there is already something that is trying to determine the switch status.

I wouldn’t mind getting better switches, but not sure hubby wants to mess with the fun of trying to fit those bulky switches into the switchboxes again :wink:. I got an earful the first time around!!

1 Like

There is no reason that he shouldn’t have to deal with re-wiring switches a few times :slight_smile: I have had multiple switch outs. Definitely a real pain, but that is the problem with technology. To make matters more fun for me, 100% of my wiring at home and cabin are 12 gauge, no 14g!

The lutron caseta switches are great. They seemed easier to wire and fit. The dimmers do not use a neutral making that a bit easier too. Also, it allows you to cap wires and use pico remotes for the 3 way configurations easily which adds to the space available in some boxes (I lucked out, I had numerous triple gang boxes w/ 1 three way in them).

Since you just updated the firmware. Go into Z-Wave info page under setting and see the status of your switches. I usually have to initiate the switch to bring it back to life. I just updated the firmware and have quite a few going dead right now.

We may eventually replace all the switches…but it’s not in the cards right now. I have hubby installing a Kwikset lock and a fan controller so he’s already grumbling :wink:. I actually have seen some Z-Wave Plus switches that are reasonably priced that ought to work.

My husband rebooted the hub and the switches came back. I still have the log page up so want to take a look and see if anything looks suspicious there.

I still am wondering if the non-smart switch driver was updated to take care of the instant status…since I did install the new firmware and didn’t do a re-test of the switches, I will do that tonight (and be sure to reconfig all the switches too). But if I’m still not getting instant status, I would like to know if I should be and am not or if I just need to set up the refresh rule.

I was wrong…the switches are reporting instant status. The Evolve LRM-AS dimmers are not.

So I have two issues

1. I don’t know if the new non-smart dimmer drivers should be somehow doing instant status. If not I can put the rule back to refresh them. I only have 3 dimmers.
  2. The switches went out again, when I got home I had to reboot the hub. I went through all dimmers and switches and did config and refresh. Everything looks good (on the device and on the z-wave information pages).

I may have to ask the drivers question elsewhere and I’ll submit a support request if the switches go down again.

Dimmer usually doesn't give instant status due to the ramp rate so you are not going to get less than a couple of seconds status. How long is your delay?

Sorry to be thick...what delay?

The status.

I removed the rule to refresh the dimmers and then turned all three of them on, just to test to see if the dimmers would at some point send a status. So far, they have not, and I’ve waited about 30 minutes. Looks like the driver automatically turns off debug logging after a while, which is kind of a bummer. I went into the driver and did a save and got some logging, then it went off again. So looks like the dimmers aren’t sending any kind of status.

Any suggestions for additional testing?

If the driver doesn’t see a physical event within a second tops, it’s not going to. You’re only option with these dimmers is to poll them, or replace them.

Fair enough! Thank you!

@mike.maxwell, I am having the same issue with Linear and GE dimmers. When I use the dashboard to toggle them, the light rules (to turn other lights on or off) works but when I toggle them from the wall switch, Hubitat never sees the state change. (nothing in the log.)

How do I poll dimmers?

Thank you.

use RuleMachine and create a TRIGGER with Refresh only the devices you must...

scap

How did you get the dimmer to be included. Double tapping, as instructed, does not work.

My GE was a pain to exclude but once connected they work fine. I still can not get the Evolve LRM-AS to exclude then include so I can get it on the Hubitat.