Q-see camera on dashboard

Has anyone got q-see qt-XXX dvr camera's to work in the dashboard? any idea on the url to access the streams of the camera's on the DVR?

do they need to be http or can they be rtsp?

Has to be an HTTP stream using mpeg or jpeg.

I'm using the image template to add images from qsee DVR (QC model)
http://user:password@IP/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi?channel=1

• I would suggest to create a regular user in your DVR since somebody can edit the tile and see the password.

• I noticed that sometimes the image is not displayed, then after couple of seconds it comes back on again (played with the refresh rate without any result)

• Connect to Q-see IP cameras
    I used this website as a guide to get the link to the jpg & rtsp .... play around with stuff from other models as well ... sometimes combining 2 links gets the job done :slight_smile:

I wasn't able to use rtsp on the dashboard (even though I can play the link with vlc)

Welcome to the community!

You won't be able to play the RTSP feed on the dashboard. It would have to be an HTTP feed.

1 Like

Thank you. I just tried an http feed for one of my Iris V1 cameras and was able to get an image display. Of course, this is not recording the images, just displaying snapshots at 5 second intervals. Still though, it is an achievement. I am using the Motion application in Linux to record from my two cameras to a hard drive, sort of a cheap DVR. The motion app records them based on detected motion. Now I have a way to look in and see the cameras, even if I can't trigger recording.

I think I will set up two desktops, one for each camera, each containing an expanded image tile. Thanks for the last bit of information I needed to figure out how to do this.

I use motion as well. (Well, I actually use MotionEye for raspberry pi since it has a nice gui). But it is really powerful. I even have the motion backend opened to external HTTP commands. That way, when commanded, I can simulate motion on all the cams and force them to start recording. I have it set up with an HTTP switch and HSM so all my cams record when an intrusion is detected.

I had not heard of MotionEye. I looked it up but the built-in web access in motion has been adequate (access by localhost:8080). The recording is done automatically by Motion, so I don't really need to trigger it. It will start when motion is detected anyway. I just need to remember to go in periodically and delete all the video and picture files from the drive since I don't have a way to have it automatically overwrite the oldest files if it fills up the drive. Given what I have seen though, it would take many days to fill the drive if we were away and not triggering recording by our motions.

There is actually a way to do that built into MotionEye since it's designed to be much simpler for the Linux un-initiated. But you should be able to delete them with a simple cron job. Motion doesn't care if they get deleted.

The reason I use the motion simulation is that I don't have all my camera set up to record via motion 24/7. My outdoor cam for example would record WAAAY too many clips to be worth while. So, i can control when the recordings occur.

I only have the two and they are indoors. I would not want them deleted on a cron job. If we are traveling and something happens, I don't want that something deleted before we can get back home and view what happened. In my case, manual control is better.

Actually, I have 4 more, but they are smart phones that are now serving as cameras using the Alfred app. They also can do motion detection and, unlike my current setup with Motion, can be viewed live remotely as long as we are in a location with a good cellular or WiFi signal. However, there is no way to integrate those with Hubitat.

You could set it to delete only movies over a month old. Or three months. Whatever you want.

1 Like

I was able to get a live camera feed using mostioneye and a customer driver that uses an iframe.

I have only been running it for a day or so.

I may do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just s heads up, I had to use the embedded url in motioneye not the streaming url. The streaming url was locking up my habit when I went to go edit the virtal device.

I ended up having to turn off my pi running motioneye to remove the virtual device using the streaming url.

I don't have it set up to stream, but to refresh a static image every 10 seconds. It has not been causing any problems that I can see. This is the image URL I use for my two cameras (with the appropriate IP address for each one).

http://192.168.x.xxx/img/snapshot.cgi?img=vga

It works for the dashboard. The streaming video is handled by Motion and recorded to the drive.

Gotcha. I'm using a frontend to motion and using the live feed, not a image.

I decided on the static image updated every 10 seconds because I did not want to test the Hubitat's processor by trying to process steaming video. I felt that static images updated every 10 seconds were a much better choice, especially since Motion is recording the video.

1 Like

Didn't think about it like that. Haha, I don't have many thing attached to hubitat. May have to re-think how I'm doing it, expesally if I add more.

How resource intensive is motioneye? Should I use a dedicated pi or would a b3+ be oke with this and several node servers?

I run it on the same server as Cast-Web-API, Assistant Relay, DoNS Email server, and PiVPN and it runs perfectly without a problem. CPU usage usually averages around 80%. Oh, and this is on a Pi3 B, not the B+. Be careful though, for some reason Chrome stopped displaying my cams all of a sudden. I have to use Opera or Firefox or TinyCam Pro to view cams for some reason now.