Pushover - isn't it built a bit strange?

I am using pushover all over the place - even created the full thing supporting their RT API in NodeRed. Now, of course I can ping my NR implementation and send a message, however wanted to check out "native" Hubitat implementation and find it a bit confusing. It appears that in order to send a message title, send message to a specific device, specify message priority I need to create different pushover devices in Hubitat since those properties are not a part of a specific call, but device properties itself? That's just weird. So I will end up with multiple devices, "pushover for phone with high priority," "pushover for phone with normal priority," "pushover for desktop," etc. How do you use pushover?

You don't need to make more than one pushover driver. Simply add S,L,N,or H to your message

[S] - Lowest Priority (only available in custom community driver v20221204)
[L] - Low
[N] - Normal
[H] - High

Example. High Priority

You can set different sounds for different levels within your pushover login...

Normal Priority

2 Likes

Check this driver as well: Pushover Notifications Driver [Slightly Enhanced]

And you could further customize it in the code if needed.

1 Like

Thanks. Haven't tried different priorities.

I mean in general you do need to create notification devices but not individual pushovers. I have 2 pushover accounts that honestly I don't need. (could have installed one on wife's phone with my email login but meh, at the time pushover was 4 bux. So I didn't get an extra cup of coffee that day... I send most notifications to both but some to just one (my wife doesn't wanna hear about the water softener needing refilled and other maintenance notifications)

I guess my point is that pushover api allows for specifying particular device registered with your account to receive notifications. I find it curious that it isn't exposed as a part of the "send message" call but rather as a property of the device itself

Using my enhanced Pushover driver (linked above), there is an option to specify which device you want to send the message to. My Pushover driver was the original basis for the built-in driver, and thus you can easily switch between the two drivers without having to recreate the devices.

Personally, I find it simpler to create one Pushover device for each user’s device, as that is basically the Hubitat paradigm for Notification Devices.

5 Likes

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

1 Like