Proper electrician training

Hi all,

How do people here change their dumb switch? calling an electrician or DIY?

Having to grow up in Asia where we don't have a ground cable in the AC cable (I learned microelectronic back in high school, thus understand the concepts); can someone please suggest an official training (and certification) that allows me to fully understand the AUS cabling and allows me to change the dumb light to be smarter, while at the same time not afraid of breaching any home insurance policy.

Thanks

Unfortunately mate you can't do any work yourself legally. The only way is to become a licensed electrician. I have my trade and a qualified supervisors certificate but even then i'm still not supposed to do any work even at my own house because i don't hold a contractors licence. The contractors licence is of no use to me as my day job is covered by somebody else's licence and i'm not planning on working for myself.

That sucks.

In Canada we are allowed to do basic things. Change switches, outlets and light fixtures are allowed. Anything more complicated you need an electrician.

I took a home electrical course in our area and it basically talked about how all electrical wiring in the house works. Well worth it as I now understand and have no fears when working with any of the lights/switches.

1 Like

In Alberta anyway, this isn't entirely true. There are certainly activities that are restricted, but over the years, my dad, and now myself have done a substantial amount of wiring. My dad wired the addition he added to the house, along with the garage when it was built. As he developed the basement, he did all that as well. The only requirement was to take out an electrical permit with the city, and it had to be inspected before the walls could be closed in. I 'think' that an electrician is required to make connections into the panel. Can't remember for sure.

Part of the issue however is to know what code states and to have some level of skill with tools. It would suck to be inspected, fail and have to change a bunch of stuff. And then of course there's also knowing when you're in over your head. Some people have drowned and been planted before they figure out they should have stopped a long time ago. This frequently comes following a few shocks or at ye ole time of inspection!

The permit is the key thing.

When you have an electrician do it, the work is covered by them unless its a large piece of work and they request to pull a permit for the work which means it is then covered by ESA. If you do the extensive work then you need to get a permit and a sign off and that is covered by the ESA.

But you are allowed to do basic things without a permit. Otherwise changing the light switch could get really expensive.

This could also be Ontario specific as that is where I took the course when they went over the code etc.

Well here in "the sticks" the previous owner of our home wired an external outlet with a LAMP CORD! Maybe things need to be a bit more restricted in Iowa? Anywho, we had an electrician fix that issue and he also removed the charred expandafoam from another outlet on the other side of the house.
:grin:
I have a great relationship with our electrician. We have a lot of laughs. I pay him a LOT of money.

3 Likes

We aren't required to obtain a permit for things like changing switches or receptacles either. We had an electrician come in to upgrade the main service panel, and on another occasion to install receptacles under our eaves so I can use heating wire to prevent ice dams on the roof. The second wasn't really even a big job, but I didn't want to be cutting holes soffit, mounting boxes and pulling wires through the attic so I had them do it. In both cases a permit and inspection was required despite using a journeyman from a licensed contractor. Interesting how things vary.

Crazy! At least you got it fixed instead of getting the opportunity to roast marshmallows!

1 Like

Every day is a new adventure.
:rofl:

Curious it this requirement pushed by the trade union(s)? It sounds like it might be.

While I understand the need of a certain amount of technical capability exists, such a requirement doesn't insure a negligent homeowner can't do harm.

My Dad used to sign off on the electrical fit out of nuclear submarines and then went on to radar and naval air arms here in Australia, all he's allowed to do is change a light bulb at home :wink:

4 Likes

Yep it's a bit crazy.