Proper 3-Way Switch Configuration Help

Hello, I have 2 Zooz Z-Wave Dimmer switches wired correctly per Zooz instructions. One is the one wired to the light and theother is a 'remote' switch that only is connected to line and neutral wires. Hubitat Hub see's both switches. I tried adding both to a scene and was thinking that would keep them in sync. That didn't work. I then tried with automations, I got it to me able to turn on the light, but can't get the 'remote' switch to turn the light off. I am probably missing something really simple, can anyone help me out? All the posts on this I've looked at either talks about wiring or a different config than using 2 Z-wave switches for this. This was pretty easy using Universal Devices ISY (using scenes) and now trying to do it at a newly built house with Hubitat. Thanks for all the help!

Easiest way I think is with the user app Switch Bindings, it was designed for that exact purpose.

1 Like

Thank you, on his site it says to use Package Manager to install it. I clicked on the link, but have no idea where in the Hubitat dashboard I would install a 3rd party app. I do a search for it in the hubitat documentation and can't find any clear directions. Another roadblock for me. Sorry, real newbie with this interface.

Here is how to get Package Manager installed.

HPM Install Guide: HOW TO: Install Hubitat Package Manager (or any other User App)
HPM Docs: https://hubitatpackagemanager.hubitatcommunity.com/

Once you do that, installing other apps or drivers that are on there is much easier. You can just search for them by name and click install.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I got both installed and will play with the bindings app tomorrow, I think it's what I am looking for

Wanted to respond back to let you know that the bindings app worked! Thank you very much!!

1 Like

Hi all, so ive had a chance to play around with the switch bindings app and got around to some wife testing this weekend. Right now i have my different 3 way bindings set up and i put in the master switch in the optional section. Now, mind you these are all dimmers. When the wife holds the dimmer button to turn the lights brighter or darker, theres a really big delay in when the lights actually dim. So big that it kind of annoys her and isnt functional. When i walk over to the dimmer thats connect to the light, the master, it works perfectly fine. I expect some bit of a delay, but not like this. Is there any special configuration option i should try and get this more usable for her? Thank you

What model of Zooz dimmer(s)? There might be some config options that could help it but I need to know what model you have.

Also, for dimming like that in this case it may work better using the association groups for dimming, but it is not that easy to configure. Again, will be able to tell you know if I know the model.

Thanks, I have 3 Zooz Zen72 Dimmers with one set as the 'controller' connected to the actual light and the other 2 wired in the 'virtual' configuration. The Zooz website says there is something to be done for a 'direct association' but I can;t figure out how to change the actual parameters of the switches.

https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/1259-how-to-use-multiple-zooz-switches-in-3-way-and-4-way-set-ups/

• Remote dimmer: set parameter 7 to value 11 - this is a new parameter that hasn't been added to selected platforms yet so you can accomplish the change by clicking the bottom paddle 4 times quickly after you add the dimmers to the hub (the LED indicator will flash 3 times to confirm the change - it will only do that the first time the change is activated so watch closely)
  • Set direct association for Group 3 only, adding the device ID's for other dimmers in the group. So if dimmer A is your main dimmer and dimmer B is your remote dimmer, add dimmer B to Group 3 on dimmer A and add dimmer A to Group 3 on dimmer B.

You will probably need to disable the Switch bindings app if you get this setup and working. Otherwise it may conflict with the associations.

Use my driver and you will have access to that parameter 7 settings as well as the association: [DRIVER] Zooz ZEN Switches Advanced (and Dimmers)

You just need to the look at the DNI for the master switch on the device page (2 char hex), then add that DNI to the virtual switches in Group 3.

This is the settings for parameter 7, it should be named similarly in the driver drop down:

Thank you JTP! Is this the setting I change on my remote dimmers in regards to the parameter?

EDIT: Here are the steps I took (I have 3 switches in this setup, 1 is the controller connected to the light and the 2 I am calling the virtual switches);

Deleted the Switch Bindings for this group of switches
Set all 3 switches to use your Dimmer driver

Light Controller

• Added the DNI from Virtual Switch 1 and Virtual Switch 2 in Group 3

Virtual Switch 1 (Main Door Area)

• Set parameter 7, value 11, size 1
  • Clicked set parameter box command
  • Clicked Configure box command
  • Added Light Controller DNI to Group 3
  • Clicked Save Preferences

Virtual Switch 2 (Kitchen Area)

• Set parameter 7, value 11, size 1
  • Clicked set parameter box command
  • Clicked Configure box command
  • Added Light Controller DNI to Group 3
  • Clicked Save Preferences

Here's the strange thing, the Virtual Switch 1 (Main Door Area) it's working perfectly. No delay, dims it like it should. Wife approved. Virtual Switch 2 (Kitchen Area) not so much, really big delay, wife will hate it. Virtual Switch 2 is actually closer in physical location to The Light Controller Switch. Any thoughts? Thank you again

Do not change the setting using that command, you need to change it with the dropdown menus in the settings area for a permanent change.

Ahh, I see it in the drop down now, I missed it for some reason. Your driver is pretty awesome BTW with the ability to change all these settings!

I think I screwed something up by using the command, I don't see a drop down for parameter 7 anymore. Is there a way to 'reset' the switch back to defaults and see if that fixes it?

I think they added parameter 7 to one of the firmwares for that switch, it is possible one or more of your switches would need to be updated to use it. What firmware is showing at the bottom? They added it in 10.30 / 2.10 (depends on your hardware version).

Also, make sure the deviceModel is populated correctly in the "State Variables" section, without that the driver does not know what to show for parameters.

You are correct, I need to update my firmware. Confirmed by Zooz support team too. I feel like I'm getting close and the wife will be happy :slight_smile:

JTP, I want to thank you again for the help! Doing the direct associations worked like a charm! I also updated the firmware for the 1 non-working switch to 10.40 and now it's working correctly. The switches are now behaving exactly as I was expecting them to in this multi-way virtual mode. Through this process I learned how to use a different driver for a device, how to update firmware on the device, and setting up direct associations. Thanks!

2 Likes