[PROJECT] Smart RV (with photos)

Thanks for this thread. A fair warning is I am going to be a bit clunky at getting up to speed with some of this stuff. I was an Iris user, now on SmartThings for home, Some estate issues need to be settled but a 2017 Keystone Cougar 26rbi is in the future for the wife and I. After some thorough cleanup and minor interior repair I should be up to the point I can start doing a project like this...

I have components I can and should carry over. Such as 18 Iris 1st gen contact sensors, about 4 Iris 2nd gen motion sensors, a couple of OC821 cameras and a keypad.

The Keystone Cougars come with a semi smartness I guess you could say. Automatic levelers, tank level displays, electrical displays etc... on a panel by the entry, and an RF remote. I think they call their system in command.

The question I have is can this be tied in to Hubitat, can I use Hubitat for perimeter security, and how would I go about automating lighting? Most notably I don't want for either myself, or my wife to funble for the bathroom switch in the middle of the night, that sort of thing... Are there smart switches, that are compatible with Hubitat, that will control the 12v LED lighting?

What about other functions like maybe turning on the water heater remotely to get the water warm before a shower?

It does look like you are aiming for much of the same as I am. Smarts built in, and a downsized home on wheels including the home office...

Which brings me to the next I don't know squat about the mobile configuration rig... Is there some sort of router that you know of that i can connect as a client to both cellular modem, and WiFi, and set to prefer WiFi if available?

Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to get a feel for what is possible before I decide what is doable for me...

1 Like

This is a fantastic project. I was about to take off on the same thing...... I've been a home automation integrator for almost 20 years. I recently decided to sell my house and be a digital nomad full time. I bought a 40 ft motor coach with really archaic control systems and just started thinking about this problem. Thanks for putting up the page!

My house has almost every single thing that you would touch automated, A/V, lights, locks, fans, motion, appliances, thermostats, monitoring, shower temps, cameras, mood lighting. Now I want the same on my coach......

Hubitat looks promising, but I haven't played with it yet.

I'm looking for different control systems now.

For instance small wireless 12v dry contact "doohickeys" that could get installed as bypasses for (or in place of) the wall switches to act as control points to all the 12v systems. It would be great of those were zwave or zigbee and be really really small.

I want full integration of all of the coaches systems. This is SO much more fun than a house! I want canbus integration, engine diagnostics and reporting, perimeter cameras, slide controls, intelligent HVAC, automatic window shades, automatic outdoor sun shades, water heaters/pumps, solar charge controller, inverter, TPMS for the coach and the tow vehicle, access control, digital fencing, leak detection, autoleveling, backup sonar sensors, slide sonar sensors, on the roof weather station, etc.

I like your ideas about cabinet door sensors. I should also add that we should have automatic locks for things like sliding doors and stuff that should be secured before you get rolling.
I like the idea about heat monitoring. A lot of race cars monitor multiple points on each tire as well as many many engine points. No reason we can't.

FYI:
I've stuck up a few Flic buttons in discrete places, as manual overrides, which talk to HE via the Flic Hub and Maker API.
I know you said 12v but it sounds like you'd be the type of guy that wouldn't have a problem hardwaring them to a 3v supply, if needed. :slight_smile:

This is a great thread. I fully appreciate all of the things you've done.

I actually got Lippert to upgrade our current rig with one control 2 years ago and it was a life saver (we got HVAC, slides, lights, tank (which don't really with) leveling, water heater and pump controls), ours has the WiFi and LTE router as well.

We're now on the search for a new rig and having similar function is on the top of my list, but I'm not focused on one control this time. It's a nice system but it's buggy at times. I've found 12v relays that can handle 15/20 amps to control the slides and pumps. Lights are fairly easy too. The rest is no different that a home just a bit different space really.

I love the water hose shut off vs a built in one idea, I'm hoping I can source one because that's awesome.

2 things I'm trying to figure out and figured I'd ask her. First you did touch on is lock/unlock with the fob, and while I may still do that option as we don't always have internet, I still am wanting to set up presence rules for when we do... But the RV moves often, do you have any suggestions on an 'easy' way to update the hub 'home' location for geo fence?

Second is locks... I know there's the RV 'smart' locks... But they are not smart only have a keypad... Looking for something I can use my phone to unlock/lock at night. I think the baggage doors should be fairly easy using a cabinet lock or a magnetic lock (depends on what I can get my hands on and the space) the issue is the 'house' doors.. I want to still be able to open those in an emergency without a button, or phone... I know I can fail safe open, but that's not always helpful... I thought about an electric door jamb lock which could be set up to open if the doors handle unlocked or the lock, but because RV doors open out that would require a cut on the outside of the RV, risking issues and damage that I'm not 100% sure it's worth it...

Any tips on those would be appreciated.

@srwhite if you need new contacts over at LCI I have a few I could put you in contact with. I don't know the folks on the development side but I know the head of the one control Support team and he's been awesome to work with. Also have info for a few others I might be able to get you a new contact that might help with stuff to see if we can intergrate things even better. Also willing to help field test things for you as I'm building things.

Here's the interview they did with us when they installed one control on our current rig.

Back from the dead....I am getting ready to do similar...when you connected the HVAC up to the unity x hub, did it just recognize it, or did you have to do anything special? My tank and HVAC/generator geni will be here Monday along with my 5" screen lol. My camper came with a unity X1 with 32 inputs, but only three used ..a total waste!!! :slight_smile: