Project Ideas

Ok.. With my last major project close to release..
I need ideas for my next...

I have a few side projects going.. But looking for another big one..

There has got to be a void that needs filling..

5 Likes

:question:

1 Like

I am so confused

1 Like

How about a githup updater or installer? For people like me.

1 Like

I’ve thought about that @april.brandt.. But not a really clean way to handle this with an outside program.. And no way to do it in the sandboxed app / driver environments..

2 Likes

What about something to monitor updates? I dunno how that stuff works. Just kind've dreaming out loud.

2 Likes

@bcopeland you can use the same unofficial APIs on HE from an app/driver as you could do from an outside program to update apps and drivers. Any and all routes currently available are a bit "hackish" though.

1 Like

Isn't there an app for that already?

1 Like

they have an app for that?
:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I have already looked into it.. I saw how to do it in my browsers developer tools.. But it’s messy and not guaranteed to keep working after platform updates..

1 Like

I'm certain I saw one in the community, now I can't find it, maybe it was in a dream?

It is the route used by some devs, me included, to push code updates to HE from our dev environments. If it changes it won't be with high frequency, and it would very likely be easy to update if the endpoint ever changes.

1 Like

I don't know if I would happy with that. What can you push to a hub? Pulling in something that I have control of is one thing but pushing is something different.

1 Like

Personally I only push my own code straight from Visual Studio Code, to push code from others straight from GitHub is a different thing. I probably wouldn't want that, but I'm sure others would for the sake of ease-of-use.

EDIT: So in this case it would be pulling code from GitHub and pushing it to HE.

2 Likes

If you go to the code editor with developer mode on in your browser and click save you can see the url that your code goes to.. It’s pretty simple.. But I would prefer to keep my dev projects native to the hub environment and not an external add on..

2 Likes

@markus I’m currently using visual studio.. But thinking of converting to InetlliJ.. Just recently installed it and it has a much better understanding of groovy and can catch more issues before pasting it to the hub..

2 Likes

It is a better environment for Groovy, that is for sure. Regardless of environment, I would go nuts if I had to copy and paste my code into HE. As it is now, I just press Ctrl-F5 and presto, done...
I stick with Visual Studio because I also develop and compile a custom firmware (Tasmota) there. It is also my preferred environment for other languages, such as Python.

2 Likes

How about a zwave mesh visualizer? It would be nice to see how the mesh is structured, without an additional device purchase.

Alternatively, performance optimizations to reduce z-wave traffic for the Inovelli switches? It would be nice to expose the LED controls for run commands vs creating child devices in the Inovelli drivers. I know there is an alternative driver that supports this, but that driver doesn't appear to be getting updates.

4 Likes

Not bad.. And I might know how to make this work in an app... :thinking:

6 Likes

Easy.. And been done.. By me in one way and another dev in another way

1 Like

I actually never liked the child setup that inovelli came up with.. It’s clunky and limited.. There is no real limit .. It’s soft imposed by their driver..

1 Like