[PROJECT] Driver for WADWAZ-1 Contact Switch

If you really want to take a look you're more than welcome to. I can message you the API info. If you get something working I would gladly send you a donation

@snell

I finally had a chance to pull the sensor off of my screen door and bench test it with your driver this morning. The driver works as expected with the external contact. You can use either the internal or external contact independently, or you can use both contacts in tandem. Nice work. I did nothing special to "turn on" the external contact and have never used it on this device before. This could be one of my older sensors from 2015.

Not sure if battery reporting is working as I don't have a spent battery to test with.

I'm going to change all 15 of my old zwave goControl sensors to your driver and see how it works. The HE generic driver was causing a lot of message storms and the occasional zwave slowdowns. The ported ST driver in currently using stopped the storms and slowdowns so I'll be curious to see how you're driver performs on all the sensors. If it works, I'll post an update after the holidays. If it doesn't, I'll be updating much sooner.

UPDATE:

I didn't catch it until I started changing all of my sensors but I just realized your driver does not have a configure button to press after changing to it. I updated preferences immediately after selecting the driver so I don't think it's an issue but most drivers I've used on HE have a configure button to send updated parameters to the device. I don't create drivers and only write VERY SIMPLE groovy apps so maybe the button isn't needed. I don't know.

Thanks! Always good to hear that something works properly. When I first got my internal & external contacts working I thought it might be nice to let people decide how the "contact" that Hubitat sees gets reported. Being able to base it on either (or both) has worked out. I put one of these on my network rack-case, with the internal on the front door and a series of switches on the 3 side panels that can be removed going to the external contact. Now it shows if anything is open but will not show it as closed until everything is buttoned up again.

I actually removed the configure capability (well, commented it out) because it was only calling "updated" anyways, which happens when you Save Preferences. I thought there was not much point in having a command that added no value.

My older WADWAZ work just fine for the external contact. It seems to be weird with newer ones. If you do not mind my asking, can you provide the model number from the back of the device (if it is visible). Just want to see if there are different models that implemented it differently.

That's what I did because there wasn't a configure button and I wasn't using the external contact. From what I've seen, most people are "programmed" to press that configure button and it is the first thing that they are told to do when asking for help with a driver. Just a suggestion, you might want to consider putting it back for continuity with other drivers.

I will think on it. Most of my other drivers do not have it either but they are mostly dealing with "virtual" devices or if I can find a reason to put it back. I hate having commands or such that GNDN (Goes Nowhere Does Nothing) or really lack any relevance.

1 Like

Updated Version:

• WADWAZ.groovy = 0.7.2

Change(s):

• Replaced the one boolean attribute I had in the driver (that was a placeholder and doing nothing at this time) with a string because I was informed that boolean attributes are not valid and I am going through all my drivers to correct this issue.
3 Likes

Not sure if you're still working on anything for this, but I've been using the GoControl Contact Sensor driver from michaelahess. I can't post a link, but it's very easy to find with a quick google search. It has all the features, but it gives me a MissingMethodException with each update. I'm going to try your driver. I just thought I would share in case it is helpful for you...

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.