[PROJECT] Driver for Blink API

I think ive lost the plot. I can find it anywhere and yet my blink was armed every night at 11.30pm.
Never mind. It works. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Sometimes that is how it works out, right? Plenty of times it is just like... what was I doing, where was that... eh, it works(?!)... Moving on.
:smiley:

I have noticed lately that I get almost no motion events on my cameras.
I get the odd one here and there; maybe 20%.
I get the motion clips and notification from the Blink app just fine.

Any thoughts on tracing this?
I don't get log entries either if I trigger the motion sensor

Not the battery BTW, this one needs changing but the rest are good.

Current States

• Account ID : 95716
  • Arm String : Armed
  • Armed : true
  • Battery Status : ok
  • Battery Voltage : 146
  • Driver Status : Up to date
  • ID : 1260785
  • Issues : []
  • Motion Detection Enabled : true
  • Name : Front Door
  • Network ID : 284174
  • Thumbnail File : /api/v3/media/accounts/xxxx/networks/xxx4/catalina/xxxx5/thumbnail/thumbnail.jpg?ts=1713407247&ext=
  • Trigger ID : 5104796433
  • Trigger Source : pir
  • Trigger Time : Sat Jun 01 16:38:01 PDT 2024
  • Type : catalina
  • Updated : Tue Oct 31 14:34:52 PDT 2023
  • battery : 25
  • motion : inactive
  • switch : on
  • temperature : 11.66

The Blink API does not directly provide motion. Any you do see are basically happenstance in that the data query happened at the right time to catch a camera still having a motion state.

1 Like

Awe rats. I think a vaguely remember that now from the inception of your work.
I was using it to turn on the outdoor lights at night during movement.
I ditched the old Heathkit PIR sensor outside in favour of a modern approach.
Off to find an outdoor motion now I guess.
I liked the happenstance, last night 3 animals passed by and I got 2 motion events, not bad.

The notice from Alexa to HE is fairly quick if you need something while you search.

I think all my Googles rise up and rebel :rofl:
Little bits of Bezos everywhere.

Used to be able to use the Alexa app without having any devices if it would make them feel better. :laughing:

I have had good experience with the HomeSeer HS-FLS100+ (and now their G2 version) if you have an outdoor light or fixture it could be connected to. The G2 handles smart bulbs pretty well. The ONE gotcha I have found (but have not bothered to look into more deeply) is that it appears to stay OFF after a power failure (it does not reset to the last state or have a preference for which) and that makes it so my smart bulbs that are in it do not turn back on until I remember to set it. Which I could make a Rule for or something... but I never think of it (just like I KNOW I am not going to go do it now) when I feel like doing something.

I have power there, my outdoor 3-way switch, that's where my traditional PIR was that just controlled the lights the old fashioned way.
After it died I decided to put a Zooz 800 series Z-Wave switch in the circuit; the lights are now "online".
The Homeseer is 110.00 on Amazon here in the not to exchange friendly north. Hue is 1/2 the price if I can avoid all the paranoia around people posting issues with pairing.

$110 on Amazon?! Does Homeseer sell to Canada directly, because right now their website shows each one as $39 (US). It says they ship internationally... but I already have an account set with them for my location so I cannot seem to check otherwise.

Amazon lists it as $44 for me (with free shipping of course). Sorry to recommend something that is basically irrelevant for you.

Not sure if Zooz products would work for you or how much it would be for shipping... but they have this:

Plus, it has a Z-Wave 800 LR version coming soon if you want to try waiting. I have not used this model myself but I have had good luck with all the OTHER Zooz devices I have purchased.

I've had 2 of these original version for almost 3 years and they are solid. One plugged in and one using battery, which I've only replaced once and it's over my sidewalk and gets activity almost every night from animals etc.

1 Like

Thanks for that information! I was wondering a bit about these for some areas of our yard that do not have convenient outlets. I will probably wait for the LR ones to come out but at least I have some feedback on them in general.

1 Like

They're not small and ugly as sin, but to be honest, where I want a motion sensor outside, I'm not afraid than anyone notices it :slight_smile:

1 Like

They don't ship to Canada stating too expensive to process and ship. I guess that means they were going to double the price and no one really cares about our measly population Eskimos and dogsleds anyway. :rofl:
I'll wait for the LR and see if Mr. Bezos cares about .CA
thanks for the heads up for the LR.

1 Like

Is there any way to snooze a blink camera via this driver?

I'm away from home which enables the cameras but my daughter's home so I'm getting lots of notifications. Snoozing via the app is kind of slow.. thought I could create a widget to do it in 1 click from the home screen but only if it's a supported command in the driver.

You can arm/disarm the system the camera is part of OR enable/disable the motion detection per specific camera. Right on the each child device, or if you know their ID you can submit it from the parent device.

Awesome to find a HE driver for my newly purchased Blink system. It's perfect to be able to arm/disarm according to HE mode and not have to mess with the phone app! That's really all I'm looking to do, and the problem I ran into doesn't block me from getting that setup, but it curious that installing the driver and authorizing doesn't find my mini camera.

I used HPM and installed all the drivers, not just the ones I expected to need.

It should find the mini camera if it is part of the same account. Is it one of the new Outdoor-rated mini cameras? It looks like I need to do some re-coding for mine. I just received one I purchased and while it showed up on my system it appears to be getting treated as a Network... so I need to do some work there.

EDIT:
Looking at a Trace log for my devices just now... the NEW mini is in the owl data... but is recorded as a Type "hawk" which might be why it did not get recognized properly.

It's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWWZXWPL?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Marketed as 'All New'

1 Like