[PROJECT] Driver for Ambient API/Local and Ecowitt

Best news by far that I've heard this week!

I did not think it was possible until @OpenDave pointed out that he had the exact same stuff I did and was working just fine with a GW1000.

I have a lot of changes coming to the driver. Mirco (@anon81541053) pointed out a bunch of areas for improvement (helps to have a real developer look at stuff). Major changes to state/event handling. If I can get my head wrapped around Maps I may even be able to make it a lot smaller and more efficient.

I'll switch to the AmbientEcowitt driver when my GW1000 arrives next week - can't wait. Thanks for all your work on these drivers!

We need to raise awareness about the GW1000 - lots of Hubitat owners hate going to the internet for data.

I guess I could just wait for the boom!!! :grinning: All in good time.

Lighting detector on order... no idea when it will arrive.

I have a very overhauled driver running the paces at the moment. Cut the total code down by ~1/4. Still lots of stuff that could be done, but future work... In any case the major change was that I took @anon81541053's advice and made the part where it handles the variables all based around a switch( variable) and managed to reduce a lot of duplication there. I also reworked the Ecowitt parsing to be in line with his, and created a new parsing for the Ambient API so there was less reliance of some fudge factors between them (since the variable names are almost identical). Finally, I completely reworked the version control and logging levels (he pointed out there is ANOTHER logging level and that I was not following standard versioning).

Hopefully I will feel comfortable enough (no more errors) to post the new drivers tonight (unfortunately the changes also required my reworking the WeatherSensorCloud driver as well).

1 Like

Shouldn't that be LightNing Detector? :laughing: :crazy_face: Just thought I would throw some humor into it. Thanks for looking into it.

Nope. I ordered a solar radiation sensor...

Ha! Not sure if I did that or got hit by autocorrect.

@sam.bowden Yup, completely agree. That is why I added it to the community supported drivers page. I should probably go update it to point to the newer version of the drivers @snell is working on.

@snell are you ordering these directly from Ecowitt or have you found them somewhere else? I've tried to order from them before but decided against it when I could not use a credit card or figure out how to pay. I really want a few of their leak sensors but cannot find them on Amazon or anywhere else.

I could not find them either or used on eBay even. I did not check forever, but did check a few trusted sites. So in the end I ordered a Lightning :grin: sensor and a leak sensor directly from them, paid by Paypal. Unfortunately it is a LONG way off. They sent me an email to confirm my address and the frequency needed... but also indicated that shipping is likely 6 weeks out.

Thanks for the response @snell. That is what I thought would be the case. Shipping all the way from China directly I think.

Yes, that fits with the estimated shipping time unfortunately.

Version 0.6.1 is now posted, this requires WeatherSensorChild 0.6 or higher if you are using child devices.

Big thanks to @anon81541053 for his expertise.

Major changes include:

1. Massive rework of how Ecowitt data is handled based on @anon81541053's method.
  2. Massive rework of how data is processed after being received, based on things I learned from @anon81541053.
  3. Rework of state/event processing and posting (thus the child change).
  4. Update to version control to be more in line with semver.
  5. Update to logging methods to include Trace level logging (beyond Debug), which I had not even known existed.

@snell I am getting 2 battery devices for the WH51. The batteries for the WH31B's are a little suspicious. They have gone from 100 to 75 in one day.

You can add in the WH31B also.

Another strange thing is that when I first open the device page for the WH31B the values on the page show up as the pic below, but as soon as I press Save Preferences it changes to the 2nd pic above.

So there are "reasons" for all of that.

1. When you Save Preferences it clears the state variables, but repopulates the version and driver (this is to make sure it knows the current version/driver since those are fixed). If there is a true need, I can make it save the variables across that particular one... but they should get repopulated pretty quick.
  2. The 75 is intended. These sensors only report a 0 (good) or 1 (bad). But they will almost NEVER be actually at 100%... so I chose to make the "good" value show 75%. Other batteries that report voltage should do a % based on their voltage (although now that I think about it I should probably make it between their "top" and "replace" voltages). The PM reports 0 to 5 I think, so it's % is based on that.

@snell Understood. Appreciate the explanation. However you want to do this is up to you. Would be great for a percent as you said, maybe make it easier to tell what state the battery is in.

:crazy_face: Battery is typically a %. 100% or 0%, 75% or 0%... Not sure which is better, but I can switch it easy enough if opinions vary.

Which ever way you decide. If the darn thing doesn't report anymore I guess that would be a 0%!! :smiley:

Yup. But I think someone has an app for watching battery devices and making a bigger notice when they are 0 and/or stop reporting. Now that there are child devices that actually report a "normal" battery things like that will work! Woohoo!