Problem with motion sensors

another iris transition user here....I was able to setup the old iris Sylvania br30 lights to turn on/off relatively fast based on either motion sensing or amazon echo using simple lighting....I haven't tried to get detailed with rules engine yet. What I did do is throw out the iris motion sensors and replace them with aeotec trisensor devices which seem to trigger fast, and I put in a bunch of other zwave devices and pulled out the old iris repeaters which might be buggy. I think a big part of transition is just determining which network you are building (zigabee/zwave/mixed/etc) and ensuring that it stays in the appropriate health. I've probably seriously weakened my zigabee network, and built up a strong zwave plus network....but the only remaining zigabee devices are the light bulbs and they seem to be flexible enough.

I'm trying Rule machine and setting up the same rule logic. What does the False indicator mean?

Rule%20Machine

Also, I have a button that toggles the lights on off. Does that cancel out anything with the motion detection rule I built?

The condition is currently false because no motion is currently detected.

I don't think it will unless you want it to.. Each will just fire as they happen. However if it detects motion while the light is on then it will turn off after your delay.

If you want to play around with disabling the motion rule on button toggle look into something called "Private Boolean" - you can have a button toggle rule + test for light "on"/"off" set the motion rule's "Private Boolean" to false (or true). You also have to set "Enable/Disable with Private Boolean" under restrictions for the motion rule. Something like that.

There are other ways too...

Ok, that makes sense. I thought it might be some kind of initial state that the rule was going to set.

Initial tests using rule machine worked. Turned on from motion and off after 5 minutes of no motion.

Seems odd because from what I could tell I tried the same thing in SL.

1 Like

Yep that was my experience as well! Glad it worked for you.

Thanks. I'm fine with the current setup as long as the button doesn't negate the motion detection but it's nice to have options.

Also did you set "cancel on truth change" so if motion is detected while things are on the timer gets reset?

Yes, thanks. I saw that option and assumed that was what it meant but glad you validated that assumption.

1 Like

Is it possible to copy a rule in rule machine? I want to create the same rule but change a few things depending on the time. Thanks.

No but I believe thats been a requested feature. Part of the trouble with doing that is editing the conditions or rule definitions can cause issues. I've learned this the hard way. If you must edit a condition delete the rule definition and recreate don't try and edit it.

Ok, no problem. At least I can group devices together to apply a rule. With Iris I had to create a separate rule and schedule for each device even if I wanted them all to do the same thing. Talk about cumbersome!

Is there a setting to disable motion sensors turning on lights for a set amount of time?

For example, I would like to set the motion sensor lighting up the same way every day but on weekends, on occasion if I get up earlier, I don't want all five lights coming on and would like to disable the motion sensors for say, half an hour if I push one of my buttons. After that time had expired, I want the motion sensors detecting it again.

Yes you can do this, you can use Rule Machine, Simple Lighting, and or Motion Lighting. Your scenario has a lot going on so it may be best to split it all up with several rules.

I did something similar here:

Maybe that will help you layout what you want logically then implement it.

Not sure about using a button to set a delay or disabling the motion sensors but you can set the delay to 30 mins in the rules.

I will look into that as well but I am now looking at the 4th option for setting these because the one I was trying didn't have all of the options I need (or that option wasn't where I was looking).

I started with rule machine, went to simple lighting, then to button controller, now back to rule machine. :confounded::confounded:

I need the button to cancel out the motion and not just set a delay because I don't know when my family (= wife= boss) will want the lights to stay off and not have motion detected.

Ok, well I updated my Hub to the latest release that was just put out in the last day or two - supposed to fix some Zigbee issues.

This morning my rule, which is supposed to turn on 5 lights when motion is detected, initially turned on all 5 lights. It then turns them off after no motion is detected after 5 minutes. Then back on after motion is detected and so forth.

It turned all of them on, then off correctly. But after detecting motion the second time, it only turned on 3 of the lights. I checked the logs and it only turned on 3 lights even though my rule says to turn on 5 lights.

On the plus side, I don't seem to be getting duplicate zigbee events showing in the logs.

I seen this behavior, unfortunately in my case, I had to delete the rule and re create it to make it work correctly.

I added a virtual switch that temporarily disables my motion activated lights in our basement/"media" room then added that virtual switch to Alexa and created a routine. Now I can say "Alexa, stop basement lights" and the lights go off and stay off until I say "Alexa, start basement lights"...