Problem with motion sensors

Yes, thanks. I saw that option and assumed that was what it meant but glad you validated that assumption.

1 Like

Is it possible to copy a rule in rule machine? I want to create the same rule but change a few things depending on the time. Thanks.

No but I believe thats been a requested feature. Part of the trouble with doing that is editing the conditions or rule definitions can cause issues. I've learned this the hard way. If you must edit a condition delete the rule definition and recreate don't try and edit it.

Ok, no problem. At least I can group devices together to apply a rule. With Iris I had to create a separate rule and schedule for each device even if I wanted them all to do the same thing. Talk about cumbersome!

Is there a setting to disable motion sensors turning on lights for a set amount of time?

For example, I would like to set the motion sensor lighting up the same way every day but on weekends, on occasion if I get up earlier, I don't want all five lights coming on and would like to disable the motion sensors for say, half an hour if I push one of my buttons. After that time had expired, I want the motion sensors detecting it again.

Yes you can do this, you can use Rule Machine, Simple Lighting, and or Motion Lighting. Your scenario has a lot going on so it may be best to split it all up with several rules.

I did something similar here:

Maybe that will help you layout what you want logically then implement it.

Not sure about using a button to set a delay or disabling the motion sensors but you can set the delay to 30 mins in the rules.

I will look into that as well but I am now looking at the 4th option for setting these because the one I was trying didn't have all of the options I need (or that option wasn't where I was looking).

I started with rule machine, went to simple lighting, then to button controller, now back to rule machine. :confounded::confounded:

I need the button to cancel out the motion and not just set a delay because I don't know when my family (= wife= boss) will want the lights to stay off and not have motion detected.

Ok, well I updated my Hub to the latest release that was just put out in the last day or two - supposed to fix some Zigbee issues.

This morning my rule, which is supposed to turn on 5 lights when motion is detected, initially turned on all 5 lights. It then turns them off after no motion is detected after 5 minutes. Then back on after motion is detected and so forth.

It turned all of them on, then off correctly. But after detecting motion the second time, it only turned on 3 of the lights. I checked the logs and it only turned on 3 lights even though my rule says to turn on 5 lights.

On the plus side, I don't seem to be getting duplicate zigbee events showing in the logs.

I seen this behavior, unfortunately in my case, I had to delete the rule and re create it to make it work correctly.

I added a virtual switch that temporarily disables my motion activated lights in our basement/"media" room then added that virtual switch to Alexa and created a routine. Now I can say "Alexa, stop basement lights" and the lights go off and stay off until I say "Alexa, start basement lights"...