Problem with Leviton dimmer DZPD3

Thanks, Ryan780. This works for me too. What is most odd to me is, I’m brand new to Hubitat. Just opened the box on Saturday. Spent all day yesterday getting off of Wink, and I wasn’t having this problem until later last night. It was fine at first.

Oh well. Great that hubitat allows users to solve their own problems.

I have several DZPD3 dimmers around my home. I collected them over a few years and paired accordingly. They all seem to work as expected. However I found this thread, got curious, checked my devices and noticed that two different drivers are in use. A few paired as "Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer" and a few as "Generic Z-Wave CentralScene Dimmer."

So which driver is correct for the DZPD3? Is the driver on this thread a "complete" replacement or only designed to adjust parameters?

Looks like it's complete to me. Only issue it writes a lot of debug stuff into the log and at this point may not be needed. But I not skilled with this code so I'm hesitant to try to edit it.

Are you using the driver in your own install? Very curious if there are any differences.

Yes. It works fine for me. The only issue is what I noted earlier.

I use the same driver cited here as the "stock" one kept setting the device's max brightness to 50.

The part I find interesting here is that HE defaulted to Generic Central Scene Dimmer for me and not you. I'll assume that's due to my experience being with an earlier firmware version.

I had this issue with some of the Zooz switches. After a firmware upgrade on the switch they added the scenes capability.

Thanks but, unfortunately, the Leviton's I have are on the latest firmware. :unamused:

I tried this driver today. Parameter 3 never saves to the device and seems stuck at 10%. Same thing for the indicator LED. Clicking Save Preferences does not write the parameter to the device. Only clicking the control buttons pertaining to the desired effect works. The default HE driver does correctly handle this.

The main added benefit to me is being able to set the minimum dimmer value. That's very beneficial.

I made changes down in the area called preferences. You access that via the device screen and roll past the buttons. I set minimum, maximum, and other levels, and changed indicator LED. I'm currently using a CFL bulb in the lamp attached to this dimmer and I wanted. to make sure it always started at 100%. Prior to using this driver I found the dimmer icon on the tile would never register 100% even though the dimmer was supplying 100%.

Here's the current states of the dimmer based on the settings I was able to make with this driver.

• checkInterval : 1920
  • fadeOffTime : 2
  • fadeOnTime : 0
  • firmwareVersion : null.null
  • indicatorStatus : when on
  • level : 0
  • levelIndicatorTimeout : 0
  • loadType : cfl
  • maxLevel : 100
  • minLevel : 100
  • presetLevel : 100
  • switch : off

@r.p.ulivella Richard I struggled with saving preferences also and I stumbled on this. I always thought saving preference would send your changes down to the dimmer. Apparently not all preferences are sent down. But if you notice in the area of the device that has all the different items that look like buttons? Where there is one called configure. I've never pushed it before but I found that once you have set up all your preferences you can save them but you also have to push the configure button. Once you do that all the parameters you configured are sent down to the dimmer. I decided to change from a CFL to a LED bulb today and I kept changing the preference to LED but it would stay CFL. I pushed that configure button and it all updated. At this point this driver is working perfectly for me.

As I noted it has a lot of debug code that goes into the log. I played around with the code, and added two switches. One to allow debug and one for info to turn them on or off, but I screwed some things up in the code logic. So I reload the driver again as is. I've only had my Hubitat for a little over a week now so I'm a little sketchy on things. But the bottom line if you remember to hit that configure button on the device screen that will send the changes down to the dimmer. You should save the preferences too.

Heres how it look now.

• fadeOffTime : 3
  • fadeOnTime : 2
  • indicatorStatus : when on
  • levelIndicatorTimeout : 1
  • loadType : led
  • maxLevel : 100
  • minLevel : 20

@jcanavera This is helpful to hear. I tried to repeat the method you describe however I still some settings do not commit. After pressing "Refresh" I can see that minLevel, perhaps one of the most important settings for newer bulbs, does not commit. Strangely if I try to do the same using the new Hubitat-integrated DZ6HD driver I can commit some of these missing settings but not others. If the source code for the DZ6HD driver were available perhaps it would be possible to learn from its code to correct whatever this driver is missing?

One other thing to consider — is there newer firmware available for these dimmers? Perhaps a firmware update is required to gain "full support?"

@r.p.ulivella I just got my dimmer directly from Leviton as a warranty replacement. So the level of the software in my dimmer may be current. So maybe that’s why things are working well for me with that driver.

I'm trying to use the DXPD3 dimmer as an instant-on-off switch (as the load is not dimmable). I've been the driver from post 28 to unlock some of the deeper features. I think I've set the fade and levels correctly, and the current states appear correct, but the dimmer seems to still fade down (causing a delay and flickering in the load turning off). Is there something additional I need to do here?

Current States

• fadeOffTime : 0
  • level : 100

Just to add, it appears that the level is being set to zero before turning off. This happens even though I have a minlevel set to 100. I know this phenomenon had been described earlier in the thread, but I thought the custom driver in post 28 was supposed to resolve this.

Current States (After off command)

• fadeOffTime : 0

Just wanted to let you know that I have received a message back from Leviton technical support. They said that the DZPD3 plug-in dimmer uses the same internal dimming engine as the in-wall DZ6HD dimmer. So it shares the same bulb compatibility and should function well using the DZ6HD device driver.

I have tried using the Leviton DZ6HD device driver and it appears to function well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.