Problem with Button Controller App & Iris 3460-L

The 2 second hold on the end of the battery insertion is the key part. Too long or too short and it won't reset. Like I said, mine was a bugger. I had to try many, many times before it worked.

Ok...I found a rabbit's foot, picked a 4-leaf clover in yard, faced East while wife faced West & she clicked her heels, Dog faced North & Cat faced South...(I gotta laugh to keep from crying & cussing!)

I inserted battery tray while holding button...It lights up BLUE & pairs with HE as Iris Button Controller!!

Where/how do the attributes for the "number of buttons" come in?

I pushed the button while looking at the device in HE and it did report " pushed: 1" then I held the button and it reported "held: 1"

At this point I haven't done anything else...no Button Controller app loaded or anything. Just glad to get it paired back now.

Not touching this thing anymore until I hear from you guys on how to proceed to get correct number of buttons attributed to this thing.

Now seriously as to why it may have paired finally...I put in another new Duracell 2450 rather than the factory installed 2450 battery which is "Lixing" brand. One thing I immediately noticed between the Duracell 2450 & the Lixing 2450: The Duracell battery is a little hard to slide the battery tray in...the original factory 2450 is not quite as hard to insert which make me think that the Duracell battery is just a few MM thicker perhaps & makes better contact??? I dunno...just speculation but there is definitely more friction on inserting the tray with the Duracell battery while the Lixing battery it easily slides in. And all the batteries show 100% charge. I dunno.

I await suggestions from you guys on how to set this thing up now. Thanks for all the help...I'm determined to get this going. If I/we do, I'm buying a lottery ticket for the first time in my life tonight & if it's a winner, I'll split with all of you! :slight_smile:

Mine does not display the number of buttons because the device only has one and the driver knows that. Try pressing the button and then try holding the button. After doing so, you should see current states of Held and Pushed equal to 1. If that works, you are all set.

Resetting is a pain! I found that inserting the battery while holding the button gets a red LED. Release while the red LED is still on and then immediately press again and the LED turns blue and starts blinking. Then it is ready for pairing. Even so, it is tricky. One has to catch it at just the right point to succeed.

1 Like

Give it a shot in the BC app and see what happens. @Ryan780 mentioned that his does not have the numberOfbuttons attribute (which is strange to me) so you may not need it in the BC app after all.

@Ryan780 do you use the built in BC app for this button device?

1 Like

I just looked at this driver, it is not setting the number of buttons attribute, I'll get this fixed.

1 Like

Yup, i sure do. Don't have a problem with it at all. it shows as button 1 being pressed or held whenever I press the button.

The device will work fine without the attribute. The problem you may run into is when using the device with various apps (including my ABC) that looks at that attribute to present you with the correct options. If it's not set, they may balk at you. I set an option to manually set the number of buttons if the device does not declare it so you can continue if the driver is not setup correctly. I wasn't sure if the BC built app accounted for this. If it works for you in BC then it obviosuly does and @mojoman2600 issue with that app may reside elsewhere.

1 Like

Thanks mike.maxwell

I'll hold off doing anything else to this button until driver is fixed.

Was beginning to think it was my luck on getting things to work properly as I've always said that if human solid waste was ever to have valuable monetary value, I would've been born without a working rectum!....I use politically correct language. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I'm leaving this alone for now & gotta go do "Honey Do" lists for wife today.

Thanks again guys for all the help on this!

3 Likes

You could detect numberOfButtons being null after the controller is selected, then throw up an input element prompting the user for this value, then do a sendEvent for the numberOfButtons on behalf of the device.
Doesn't excuse our driver from setting this, but could also be useful for other user button controllers

2 Likes

Indeed sir...indeed. I will probably implement this in the next release of ABC.

2 Likes

I have always had problems with the buttons, even with Iris. The biggest challenge has been battery connection. The larger batteries do work better for some time, as the originals are looser and just a slight drop in terminal to battery connection and it will stop working. I have since “repurposed” mine into different project enclosures and use double AA battery holders. It’s a larger housing, but battery life is extremely long and operation is solid.

well darn and i just ordered a ten pack facepalm

Hi @mike.maxwell, I'm not sure this was ever fixed... I still don't see mine having number of buttons being set. =/

It's fixed, may have to join it again

1 Like

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

Okay so I know this is six months later but I have been working on this for a few hours. The trick to resetting them is to hold the button down, insert the battery and then immediately release the button. Worked on all of mine.

@mike.maxwell I added the Iris button today and it’s still not reporting number of buttons. Is there something else i need to do?

clicking save preferences should set the number of buttons to one, this was added april of last year...
this is assuming that you're using our Iris Button Controller driver

Thanks @mike.maxwell. Clicking Save Preferences did the trick and numberOfButtons is now appearing with a current state of 1. I’m able to add actions now with the Button Controllers app too.

However, before I made this change I was using the buttons successfully with Rule Machine for about 24 hours. Then inexplicably, they both stopped working and logging events exactly around the same time. They haven’t worked since - including after a reboot.