Problem Solving Advice

Friday evening I had an Major problem. I am a Shabbat Observant Jew so after Sundown Friday I am at the mercy of a working Hubitat. At 18 minutes before sundown my Shabbat App did change to Shabbat Mode but RM did not do as programmed. I had a few minutes where I could act and saw that I could not manually cause some devices to work.

Screwed!

Somehow by itself the system recovered during the night, I know not how.

It is Sunday and the system seems to be working.

I saw there was a diagnostic tool but I don’t understand how I works or what it does.

I have a new Hubitat Elevation but I don’t know how to replace my suspect box with it.

I do have a subscription service for backups but I don’t know how to access a backup on one hubitat and install it on another.

All is working but I dread next Friday evening.

Suggestions?

1 Like

When you say RM did not do as programmed, do you mean rules that should have run did not, or devices that should have turned off did not, or ...? And I assume shabbat mode is controlled by a mode manager schedule?

FYI this doesn't really sound like a hardware issue.

2 Likes

Should have explained in the few minutes I had I went into the RM app and manually hit activate and that didn’t work.

Hmmm OK. Can you post a screen shot of your rule?

Will do it later today but I should say I went to the devices and they were sluggish. By this I mean some worked only after multiple clicks on the on button.

All of this started working later Friday night and seems fine right now. It is like some process was running in the system and clogging everything up.

This Shabbat app was establish two months ago and has been working perfect. No changes in last two weeks that I can think of but then I am 82 years old so maybe something did change and I forgot.

My idea was to have a second Hubitat and plug it in if this happens again and or running two habitats in parallel to some how create a redundant system, if that is possible.

Does anything show up in the logs? Anything in the log Device stats or App stats that would point to some device or app loading down the system?

Perhaps you might have a device that is failing or some sensor battery that is failing. In addition to @brad5's suggestion to post the rule in question, you might also post screenshot(s) of your Z-wave details from the settings page.....assuming your hub is a C7.

Before you consider a second hub, I would suggest we find out what is causing this hub to be sluggish.

1 Like

Are they z-wave devices? See @Sakman's suggestion. Could be a z-wave mesh issue.

1 Like

If you have a C7 look at your Z-wave details, wait hang on Let's try again.
Let us know which devices you have and which were giving you issues, which will allow us to better help you, as the steps are different for Z-wave vs Zigbee vs Rule issues/building

1 Like

I have never used the logs except for the live log.

I have a second Hubitat here just sitting if redundancy is a possibility.

One of the devices I tried to turn off was a Zooz Zen51 which I used to turn off my refrigerator light. We Orthodox Jews cannot open our refrigerator on Shabbat if a light will turn on. I tried several times to manually turn it off with the device button to no avail. It could be it went off but was not acknowledging it. This device is in the refrigerator so connectivity is an issue though it is working fine right now. I don't know how to post my z-wave details.

I included two screenshots from Z-wave details. One has my refrigerator light.

The other has node 0x06D which has a "discover" button - I don't know what this is.

Do you have any ZigBee devices?
They will complicate the hub swap.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but your zwave mesh is not happy. I'd suggest this is the root of your problems. The devices without routes or names are likely going to be problematic, as are the ones that say "pending" or "not responding," and the ones with a discover button.

1 Like

no zigbee

how do I find and delete the one with a discover button

Honestly there are so many devices in a bad state I'm not entirely sure where to start. Maybe a few more troubleshooting steps first. Have you tried shutting down your hub safely, pulling power at the wall for a few minutes, and powering it back up? That might not be a bad first step. Maybe give that a shot first and post the zwave details after it all comes back up.

I suppose it is possible this is a HW issue but I kinda don't think so.

1 Like

since I have the controller can you help me to swap it to get that out of the way.

Most of my devices are very accessible in my garage in 3 panels,

Like to delete the one with the discover button but when I went to my devices I couldn't find it.

Let's get @support_team involved and ask them to take a look. If they determine it's a hub HW issue then restoring to a new hub makes sense. But just doing a restore if it really is a hub mesh problem isn't going to help and might make things worse.

1 Like

ok

Some of the not responding are Aeotec Nano Dual switches. I can replace them with individual Zooz dry contract relays.

others appear to be Minoston z-wave plus outlets.

All seem to work okay but must be not fast enough in acknowledging.

And I don't know how to delete the one with the discover button.

Also I think some of the nodes were created with Smart Start on the Zooz remote switch which was unsuccessful so I attached them manually.
so I could have duplicate entries, but I am just guessing.

How do I get @suppot_team involved?

@support_team was tagged by @brad5 in his previous post. One of them should get back to you shortly.

1 Like

you have 4 ghost devices in your zwave details that need to be removed..

try a cold start.. ie shutdown hub through the interface.. unplug on plug side of plug for a few minutes
(not the router side as it is sensitive to failure)

then plug back in .. give it a half hour for zwave to repopulate and post your zwave details again.

1 Like

In addition to the other suggestions, I recommend cloning the Shabbos rule so you can activate it much more often for testing (daily, 20 min before sunset, for example).