Primary bedroom lighting control

Current configuration for the bedroom is three dimmable LED wafer lights controlled by a pair of 3-way switches (both wired in before the lights, so it's Line->3-way->3-way->lights), and two bedside table lamps plugged into separate non-switch-controlled wall outlets. No smart switches, plugs, or bulbs being used for any of this.

What I want to do, preferably with z-wave devices...

Replace the 3-ways with scene controllers or stacked/double switches that only take up a single gang in the box. From one button... a single tap turns the wafer lights on/off. Double tap turns wafer lights on if they are currently on, then after 15 seconds, ramp down to off. If the wafer lights are already on, wait 15 seconds, then ramp down to off. Button hold... if wafer lights are on, ramp down until button released. If wafer lights are off, turn them on and ramp up. I want to do this from either of the replacement devices.

I want to do the same thing for the bedside table lamps from another one of the buttons (on the same two devices). I'm okay with using smart plugs for each of the lamps. I understand that I will need to write some rules.

I will probably get some type of scene controller to leave on the bedside table to be able to do some/all of this, too.

I'm new to this stuff, but have been bench testing some Zooz devices with my Hubitat. It seems like the Zen32 and/or the Zen30, with a couple of smart plugs for the lamps, would be able to do all of this, but I would like some verification that it's possible before ordering them. Or, maybe there's a better setup for what I want to do.

Thanks,
Ira

If you want dimming you will need the ZEN30 as the ZEN32 is just an on/off relay. Unless you plan on making the wafer lights "smart". The challenge might be the wiring but I think you could do it. The first ZEN30 in line would get wired hot with no loads. Then use the runners going to the 2nd 3way as a line feed. Wire the second zen30 up with the lights connected to the load side. The second switch would be the only one in direct control of the lights but you can do a virtual 3-way through the hub with the switch binding user app. This is assuming you have traditional wiring to support your description above. You may even be able to instead use the first switch to directly control the lights if you connect the red to the load and then connect that to the hot (black) for the lights in the next box. Not sure what is desired in that respect (which one would you want to work if the hub was down).

You could also do One ZEN32 with no load and one ZEN30 for the light dimming.

Smart plugs for the lamps, with dimming if desired. The relay button on the ZEN30 could be programmed to control the plugs through RL or RM.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.