Presence is not good

Is the only reliable presence sensor Life 360?
With HE, our iPhones are constantly switching from away to present (happened probably 25 times overnight), I have the WiFi presence sensor set up using PresenceGovernor and that looking like it went away/present all night as well.

Update, it looks like it's only HE. iPhone presence via HubConnect (smarttings) seems to be fine.

I’m unclear on two things from the info in the OP.

Are you referring to the mobile presence feature of the hubitat app?

Presence governor combines multiple input sensors. You mentioned WiFi presence, are you also using the hubitat mobile app presence sensor as one of your inputs for presence governor?

Apologize for the confusion, looks like i confused myself too. I guess i hadn't completed the Presence Governor setup. So using HE, iPhone Wifi as a virtual device, L360, HE, and Presence from HubConnect (via ST).

HE seems to be the culprit, it is very inconsistent

1 Like

So I had the same issue, it seems that the HE app is a 50/50 for m on Android. I noticed if I open the app at any time of the day, then it seem to work, but if for any reason I reboot my phone, the HE presence is pretty useless. 360 seems to be my best bet.

I have done other presence sensors. my Amazon Alexa app seems to be reliable. I use a routine to flip a switch and then set a presences sensor. I use some of the presence combinations apps.

im rambeling.

best so far is the Amazon app and 360. So far that has worked about 100% for me.

also I use IFTTT also, but on my Android, that just stopped working at all!

Thanks. I'll have to look into Amazon.
Just sitting here at my desk (at home) for the last 10 minutes, my HE presence sensor said I left and arrived 3 times.

For iPhone I’d suggest a couple of things.

Ensure that the phone’s location services allow the hubitat app to check “always” and not just “while using the app.”

How big is your geofence in the app? If it’s small, making it a bit larger might help.

The app has an option to enable “high-accuracy presence,” which you can try out, but it seems to seriously up the phone’s battery use from what people have reported (myself included).

It should be very doable to get a reliable presence solution working with multiple inputs to presence governor. Can you post a screenshot of your presence governor app settings page?

On iPhone, I find Life360 to be one of the most reliable solutions for presence.

This is completely normal, and is expected behavior as iOS devices will go into power saving mode when the screen is off to preseve battery life. As part of this normal power saving, the device will basically drop its WiFi connection (or at least become unresponsive to WiFi network requests.) iPhone WiFi Presence is most useful when used in conjunction with another method of presence sensing, and then combined with an App like Presence Governor.

You can also try using Locative on iOS with a virtual presence device on Hubitat, exposed via the Maker API.

2 Likes

For iPhone, the HomeKit geolocation is very accurate and reliable. Setup a Homebridge server either via the original manual method or with Hoobs. You’ll be very glad you did.

2 Likes

Thanks. Don't have presence governor fully set up yet, will try to get to that this week. Had to turn off High Accuracy as it chewed thru my battery as well.

I have homebridge but what do I do from there?

You need something that can allow HomeKit automation. Apple TV 4 or later, or iPad that can run the latest iOS, or a HomePod. Then create a virtual switch in HE (call it something like "Rob Presence" for example) and expose that to HomeKit via the MakerAPI Homebridge app. In HomeKit, create an automation that when Rob's iPhone arrives, turn on the virtual switch "Rob Presence". Create a second automation, when Rob's iPhone leaves, turn off the virtual switch "Rob Presence".

You can do this with all kind of scenarios. Like first to arrive home, or when everyone leaves, etc.

1 Like

Thanks. I guess I'll have to play with HomeKit again. tried it once on a Pi, but didn't have much luck. I do have an ipad laying around that I can try.

Try Hoobs.

iPad will work as long as it can run the latest iOS. Otherwise, a used Apple TV 4 works great and is the least expensive option. I've read claims that the non-4K version works best for HomeKit automation. :man_shrugging: That is the one I have. If you're not going to use it for streaming, just put it with your hub, headless.

1 Like

Homebridge is certainly an option, but I would +1 @ogiewon’s suggestion re: locative.

If you get WiFi presence, locative and ST mobile presence setup setup in presence governor, that should be more than adequate.

Homebridge would only be worth the additional setup if you wanted to use other Hubitat devices in the Apple Home app as well, IMHO.

And if you include Life360 in the mix, you should definitely have a functional presence solution. But I decided to drop Life360 because they seem to be the most invasive in terms of tracking and selling your location data.

3 Likes

(+1 ) for using locative as one of the presence sensors.

3 Likes

Is this the perspective of an Android user or an iOS user? Just curious. :wink:

1 Like

iOS user

1 Like

I use iOS. And I have tried out homebridge, for both presence and to get hubitat devices into the Home app. It’s fine, but it means running an always-on server plus an always-on Apple TV/iPad.

For mobile presence, my personal preference would be to exhaust the solutions that can be accomplished with iOS apps and apps/drivers that run directly on the Hubitat hub.

I may still try homebridge again in the future, but that’s if I decide I actually want Siri or Home app control of Hubitat devices.

1 Like

Thanks. I was asking Mark though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like