Android Mobile App - Presence Greatly Delayed?

Samsung Galaxy S9 on Verizon here. It looks like we have a few Galaxy phones on this thread. I'm assuming we're all using the beta version of the app?

I know since the last update my phone has been removing permissions of apps I don't use regularly, but I've checked and rechecked location stuff and the Hubitat beta app. I've even reinstalled the app.

I did notice over a year ago that I had better luck with Hubitat reporting when I arrive if I used Google Maps to navigate home. Maybe that was coincidental, but that doesn't help now. I also turned location permission back on for Facebook (I hardly ever use it anymore, so why does it need to know where I am?), thinking that my phone might report location more often to apps that need it (not sure if that's how it really works, but...).

The Google map in the Geofence tab of the app shows the correct location, but the app will still report inside/outside incorrectly. Where is the Inside/Outside Geofence logic handled? Completely in the app, where it then reports to the cloud, then to the hub? Or location reported from the app, presence calculated in the cloud, then communicated back to the app and also to the hub?

Something changed somewhere. I just can't figure out if it's my phone, the Hubitat app, or the Hubitat server.

Wife and I just went to dinner and I noticed when we returned that my presence worked perfectly, but my wife's was still delayed. I had her move her geofence circle slightly, clear Habitat app cache and give permission for Physical Activity and Camera to match mine. We drove around the block and we both were marked away and then present like it used to. So, did that fix it? Time will tell...

(Why the Habitat app would need Physical Activity or Camera and why that would possibly make a difference is a mystery to me.)

1 Like

Probably Physical Activity. If you look in the Advanced Presence Options, there's a "Send presence only while in motion" option that's probably intended to save power by not re-checking your location if you appear not to be moving. Turn that on, then prevent it from telling when you're moving....

Came searching for this as I noticed it today. I've been using Life360 for geo since moving to Hubitat about 18 months ago. Why? Geo was broken in the Hubitat app at the time. Last week I got fed up with Life360 batt drain so I figured, "I'm sure they've ironed things out by now!"
Worked fine a couple days ago, then today it didn't work (but I may have just not left the house for long enough). No events received by the hub for that device. left again later, and about 25 mins (maybe more?) after gong outside the zone, it was detected. Yarg.

Anyone have suggestions about a better way of handling geo, since this keeps getting borked in the app, and Life360 causes quite a bit of batt drain?

1 Like

Could be. All weekend I've been marked away/present successfully since I made those changes late last week. :slight_smile:

People have had good luck with the beta app on Android, but that's what I was using for many months until something recently changed. So far, so good for a few days, though.

I use Combined Presence along with the iPhone WiFi Presence Sensor. That way, even if GPS geofencing isn't working quite right, at least it will change when my phone connects to the WiFi when I pull in the driveway. (iPhone WiFi Presence Sensor works for Android too and there's nothing to install on the phones. It just pings a device on the network to see if it's connected.)

BUT I much prefer the GPS geofence. The WiFi thing is just a backup.

I know there's several threads about this so I picked what looked like the latest one. I'm seeing the same issues with 1.6.8. I am in the beta group, using an S20 (android)

1 Like

Looks like everyone is using some flavor of Galaxy phone?

Here's my current theory: Check the permissions. I've had good luck since I allowed Physical Activity and Camera permissions. I might remove them individually to see if one of them was the magic permission that broke stuff.

Not for my device - both are enabled as well as no memory optimizations (ie: allows OS to save battery by not letting the app do as much in the background)

1 Like

Samsung has really been messing ng with stuff. Spotify was acting goofy the other day. A little googling led me to several setting regarding battery usage. And clearing free memory I'd never messed with before.

It may be worth a Google search to see if there are more settings that can be adjusted.

I am not sure about those specific permissions and how it affects Hubitat. But the last couple times I have updated my apps (I do not allow auto updates), Google Play app helpfully pointed out that it had "removed unused permissions" from certain apps. It said something to the effect of "you have not used these in XX number of days" and that is why they were removed.

There was a reason I had those permissions set/allowed/blocked, but Google apparently knows better than myself or the author of the app what permissions are needed??? No wonder things are breaking.

1 Like

I'm seeing a huge delay as well, OnePlus 9. It has been working fine until recently. Settings haven't changed.

1 Like

There appears to be a setting where you can turn that automatic removal of permissions off, under the permissions settings for the app.

Putting my comment aside, I'd add to the list of people experiencing delayed capture of returning home.... I have a (now old) Google Pixel 2XL.

Issues here as well. It was working quite well for some time. Now, seeing a large delay if it works at all for both my wife's S10 and mine. Both on latest beta & android 12. My wife's phone was more reliable than mine but now it's giving me fits as it is not consistently changing. I was looking at it last night because hers did not register as home. Changing the geofence size registered her correctly inside and would then immediately go back to out. Logged her out and back in and that stopped. Both phones worked for our departures this morning but mine was delayed by about 30 minutes and hers by 15.

I am also having this issue again as well. My location will clearly be far outaide the geofence but the app says im in the geofence and vice versa. Only way to get presence to change is to change the geofence radius but that only fixes it till the next time i leave/enter the geofence. Sending a geo event with the button doesnt help.

I am also on a Samsung Galaxy device. An S10. App has unrestricted access to battery and location. Toggle set to not remove permissions.

I'm on the beta version of the app, version 1.6.8 build 128. Im on the beta version because one of the many other times ive had this issue, support told me to install the beta.

Its really odd that when locking at the app I'm clearly outaide the geofence but the app still says I'm inside it. The fact the the app is open and i can be driving and watch my dot leave the geofence makes me think its not a location or battery optimization issue (as thr app is open and its clearly tracking my location propwrly) it seems like an issue with the Hubitat app and I've had this issue in the past so I dont think its anything google/android or samsung has recently done.

1 Like

So this morning without making any changes its started working again on both mine and the wife phone?

UPDATE - seems to have fixed its self here only one day but has works correctly between me and the wife's phones 8 times in the last 24 hours

I have the same issue with me and my wife's S20. I use combine presence with Life360 and it's certainly seems like it's in the phone. When I arrive home and no presence events have taken place all I need to do is wake up my phone and open life360 then within 5s the presence event happens (dont know which event triggered the presence, Life360 or Hubitat but it does happen consistently like that). I've nauseatingly gone thru all the phone settings numerous times and there have been no smoking gun. There must be some under the hood obscure setting that hasn't been ID'd yet. But sometimes it does work so it's almost like there's a poll rate or update rate issue between the app(s) and the OS. Just haven't been able to pinpoint the issue yet. Hopefully there will a revelation soon.

1 Like

I guess I trusted the updated version of the Android app, and updated. WHAT a BIG mistake!
I do have 1.6.3 apk on my phone so I deleted 1.6.8 and re-installed 1.6.3 because it worked great.
We'll see if it still does though with the same phone I have had for several years... a Sammy S8.. yeah, I know... old... but it works and does everything I need.
The 1.6.8 version had the geo circle, then I logged out (on the phone) and logged back in and NO geo circle! No lat/long geo distance, all zero. So buh bye to 1.6.8!

This has been an ongoing problem that MANY have had, and there doesn't seem to be much priority to fix it.... bad news! Oh well, I will stick with 1.6.3

The missing geofence isn't necessarily a 1.6.3 issue. I'm on the latest 1.6.8 build and my geofence disappeared a couple months ago. It's discussed in a different thread. But no fix has been found. So now my Hubitat apps watches my comings and goings and always compares it to a lat/lon of 0.0/0.0. And since I'm never in the Atlantic near Africa, I never enter my geofence anymore.

I now use my Alexa presence to try to trigger my rules in Hubitat. But that only works about 70% of the time and even then usually pretty delayed. I just had to make a bunch of buttons on my app to declare when my wife or I has left or arrived. And then I have to check the app and hit a button if things aren't working. Kinda sucks doing it this way now.

Well from what I have experienced and tried, 1.6.8 never worked for me, and when I reverted to 1.6.3, things worked again.
On .8, I never had any long/lat or geofence circle and with .3 I did.
.3 also worked pretty good too.
just sayin'