Presence - geofencing

I'm wondering if the confusion is about the two different definitions of "is supported"?

For example:

• I have a Jeep. You can remove the stock suspension parts and put on parts that lift it higher off the ground. This is supported. The Jeep will not stop running just because it has 3rd-party parts on it.
  • However, Jeep does not provide support for my custom suspension. If I put on parts that put it out of balance and make it drive poorly, I can't just bring it in and ask them to fix it. If it's a simple fix like tightening something, they might fix it and present me with a bill with an hourly rate. But if it would require complex diagnosis and replacing my custom parts, they're going to shrug and tell me to take it to a custom offroad shop, or fix it myself. I broke it... I should fix it. It's not covered under warranty, and they don't want to become experts on custom suspensions.

I see my custom apps/drivers as being very much like my custom Jeep. No manufacturer sold a stock vehicle that was exactly what I want, so I was able to get what I want, but I have to put in the work. I am now "the manufacturer". It's my responsibility now, but it let me get something that the market doesn't provide.

Same thing with my custom code. The market doesn't provide something that exactly fits the crazy hacking and custom electronics I'm doing in my house. Hubitat allows me to customize my hub to do what I want. This is great, because there's no system on the market that will give me what I want. But I'm a manufacturer now, and the only warranty on my code is the one I give myself.

7 Likes