Premium Services - Revisited

Thanks for the link. I was already using a TO-Link adapter at a desktop and ordered two more last night to help me locate the hub more centrally. I'll move it when I get home on Friday and see if that helps the devices in the garage.

I have a number of the Gen1 Iris Smart Plugs on the main floor. I searched, but are they Zigbee repeaters only?

Yeah, the Gen1s are just Zigbee. The 3210-L outlets (which are Gen2, I think) have both radios in them.

1 Like

I used to do the same thing with a range extender, but I've heard everything should be paired in place because repairing doesn't always choose the best routes or something. I never want to misquote somebody like Mike Maxwell, but I'm pretty sure he said something to that affect for both Z-Wave and Zigbee.

Repair does a pretty good job of route selection. Is it perfect? No, but it works way more than it doesn't.

The guidance to pair in place is more about making sure that it will actually work in place AFTER pairing.

Typically (except some locks and garage door openers) if you can't pair it in place, it won't work in place either (at least not reliably) - so there is no good reason to pair it anywhere except where you are going to use it.

2 Likes

I know I've 100% had to walk my hub over to things to get them to pair. I've been trying not to now.
Not that I have money for new things...

Not sure what to tell you there... I've literally never had to walk over to a zwave plus device to pair it - other than locks and garage door openers. And I have 200+ zwave plus devices between my two homes.

I believe you, but I certainly can't explain why that would be the case.

It's really only been my lock.

That makes sense. Low Power/"Whisper" pairing on locks/perimeter security devices like garage door openers is a special case. A very annoying special case that I wish never would have been put in the zwave spec. :smile:

1 Like

Every radio wishes to have a sphere of signal... if all your devices are at the "Left Part" of the house, put the Hub in the center of the Left Part. :smiley:

If you can't, don't, but expect to compensate somehow... as in buying an extra device or two to become repeaters... that sit within the hub's sphere and then creates it's own. Obviously, radio strength being equal, you're repeater's sphere is only extending the mesh one Radius outwards,

2 Likes

I had one garage door opener and the Schlage lock that would only "securely Pair" if the hub were very close, in the case of the lock, touching the hub.

To get my lock to "secure pair" the hub couldn't even be on the ground below the lock, I literally had to press the two together.

If Hubitat went bust, you would need to start looking for a replacement platform anyway. Because at some point your hub will go bust too, they don't last forever, and that would be the end of the road. Replacement hardware has to be available. So the only advantage with Hubitat is that you can migrate for as long as you want (or until the hub goes bust).

Kinda makes you wonder why we put so much effort into HA that will only break in the future.

There is no moving parts in the hub to fail, not sure how you're thinking it will go bust......if by technology advances and greater capabilities are needed with the hardware to use such advancements, then Hubitat wins by selling new hardware hubs to support such advancement

Not all HA is hub based....

Servers die also at some point. Hard drives fail and memory sticks start to degrade NTM power supplies that will just stop working.

Everything fails at some point... it's not just a HA hub.

I'm now really confused... uhh yeah everything fails... see I'm failing to understand your point? Your context was around the "hub" failing so I pointed out that not all HA are based on a "Hub" some are software which "can" continue if there's enough interest in it and the project....

You're confused because you only read my post and not the previous ones.

Probably... all I'm seeing is code at the moment so I'm easily confused. 60 posts into something and half-quoting here and there things are sometimes difficult to follow fully...so my bad if I'm just confusing others as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes