Preferred leak sensor?

Coming from Wink and I have a LeakSmart sensor that looks like I won't be able to use. At least, I'm seeing mixed comments about this. If I'm going to replace this, what's the current drop in solution? I've seen mention of the Aeotec, but $55! Ouch!

Both the Samsung and the Dome work fine for me. The Samsung ones are pretty inexpensive.

I have 7 of these and like them. Also report temp. You can get them a bit cheaper by making an offer.

2 Likes

@ScottB

Iris stuff is a terrific value, I forgot these also work with Hubitat. Also check out the Iris contact (door) sensors and motion sensors while you are on there.

2 Likes

Iris seems like the way to go. I really don't need a lot of 5 of them though. I'll probably look into singles.

Thanks!

They do work. It all depends on how robust your zigbee mesh is. This article from the documentation wiki is a must read:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Zigbee_Mesh

I'm testing it about 10 feet from the brand new hub. The problem doesn't seem to be connecting. It's that it doesn't register water, which is the same thing someone else reported. Just stays on "dry" all the time. Also not reporting the battery level. So, it joins but then does nothing as far as I can tell. If you can tell me how to make it work I would be thrilled!

Edit - I should add that I am using the LeakSmart drivers I found from previous posts.

???

It should work with the built-in "generic zigbee moisture sensor" driver. I've had a LeakSmart sensor for ~6 months on HE and it's been fine - trips when the contacts are wet.

2 Likes

I have 8 of the Samsung leak sensors and two dome leak sensors, Both seems to work just fine. The bonus with the Samsung sensors is the temperature readout and I can see how cold it gets under the sinks in the bathrooms and kitchen.

2 Likes

I like the latest Smartthings leak sensors .
I really like that they have the ability to alert when water drips on the top too

2 Likes

Agree with @Cobra regarding the SmartThings leak sensors.

It does surprise me that so many people recommend the doubly orphaned Iris stuff all the time. I get it, their cheap, and fast, but they aren't made any more, and you have to buy them from ebay.

Am I the only one that says "huh?" every time somebody says "Iris!"?

Perhaps. LOL

1 Like

I'm embarrassed to say this, but looks like a remove and re-pair fixed it. It's behaving correctly now. Should have tried that from the start! Thanks for the push in the right direction!

2 Likes

For everyone else with the other recommendations, thanks! I'll be referencing this thread if I need another one.

@scottgu3 I can tell you that deals like Iris are what I'm looking for right now. I'm coming from Wink and looking at having to spend some money to fix a couple of things. If the Iris devices work without issue I'm happy to get them from Ebay. I get what you mean about the orphaned equipment (boy, do I!), but it sounds like the Iris stuff is standard protocols and widely used. Probably low risk, right?

Thanks, again, everyone!

2 Likes

Iris v2.

5 Likes

I don't see the issue with this. If they work and they are cheap, why would it matter if they aren't made anymore and you have to buy them from eBay? I could see this on something expensive where a warranty could matter if there were a problem later but these don't fit that category for me. But, in the end it's what your'e comfortable with that matters.

4 Likes

You are absolutely right. It is indeed what you're comfortable with.

Hubitat made a concious decision to throw a life-preserver to Iris users by supporting the V2 devices.

How people subsequently use that life preserver is entirely up to them. I won't recommend orphaned products to anyone however.

I've been burned too many times by oprhaned stuff, and I don't want to put anyone else in that position. And after 20+ years of buying on e-bay, it's a very rare purchase of technology of any type I'd make on that site.

But like most things: YMMV
S.

1 Like

Hubitat also supports Iris V1.

I did not buy any of these myself until I saw them officially supported by Hubitat and posts showing others using them. That's what "if they work" means to me for Hubitat devices. I don't generally "recommend" anything to anyone and I am not making an actual recommendation on these either. I will tell you my experience with an item good or bad but I won't often actually recommend something.

eBay is definitely a site where you need to be careful and aware of what you are buying. I don't buy a lot but of technology items from there either. I don't buy from overseas and I always check seller feedback first but that is no guarantee I know. I also don't buy anything that's higher priced from there.

This is very correct!

On the original topic of a preferred leak sensor. I have 3 of the SmartThings leak sensors (1 newer model and 2 of the older models) and one Dome Z-Wave leak sensor. All of these have worked well for me. Although it's been awhile, I tested each of these by pouring some water next to them and they worked as expected.

1 Like

Agreed...I don’t recommended anyone purchase Iris v1 devices, even though Hubitat supports these non-standards-compliant Zigbee devices.

However, Iris v2 devices are Zigbee HA1.2 standards-compliant. They were made by Centralite, arguably one of the best Zigbee device manufacturers. Great battery life, very fast response times, and very reliable. I have no issue recommending them, especially at the discounted prices on eBay. In fact, users should definitely prefer Iris v2 devices over the inexpensive, but non-standards-compliant, Xiaomi/Aqara devices.

8 Likes

Iris v1 was the life line. Iris v2 and v3 are all zigbee zha and have been supported from day one.

I stand corrected once again.

YMMV indeed. Lol

S.