Pre-Prep for C8 - "Send a backup to the cloud and later restore it to a C-8 hub"

Can I do this backup more than once until I get the C8 just to have it there and up to date ready for the migration or is pushing this button a one time shot?

EDIT:
(Askin cause I woke up to a C5 (recently updated to .117) not on the local network, green light on, and when I did finally power cycle it came up STILL in night mode w/ owner now scared of it's possible demise.

Edit #2: for context; I've been utterly brutal to this C5 since it's initial installation in a leaky outbuilding that gets significant temperature/humidity/dust punishment. The unit has served long & solid duty in that unreasonable environment...so if it's failing due to hardware my hat is tipped in respect.. .however, if somebody(s) did something to the software that prompted this sudden instability I'm taking on different attitude!

The Cloud will retain the 5 most recent.

Soooo,
we're talkin NOT hub protect,
NOT the standard regular backups,
but this particular & special prep-for-C8 migration backup to the cloud ?

1 Like

I haven't used it twice, but we've had folks doing migration "do-overs" over the past few weeks, so it does appear to support multiple uses. I don't remember anyone saying that they tried to do a migration backup and it would not run.

Why do you want to use it multiple times? (Selling backups on the black market is strictly forbidden!!) :wink:

1 Like

Funny, see my edited initial post. I'm thinkin nightly cloud backup to this migration offering until I get a C8

1 Like

I'd say that unless you're making changes to the C5 (automations, new devices, FW, etc.) you really only need one backup capturing the state of the devices & automations. So doing it nightly is probably a little more than you'd actually need to do.

2 Likes

I restored it twice with no problems. Actually, I screwed up the first time and restored a non-migration backup to the C8. Needless to say, nothing worked and it was hung. So I cleared both radios, did a soft reboot. It then comes up with the initial welcome screen, where I then restored the migration backup and everything worked.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.