Power outage notification reminder

does anyone have suggestions for a better way to do this rule .. or is this one of the best ways?

this is to avoid the suck factor that when power comes back on the hot tub resets temp to 100.
yes first world problems.

1 Like

Seems like a reasonable approach. I might also add a test for timeout and perhaps send a different message if the wait reaches the specified timeout.

1 Like

On Mine, the trigger is power source changed. Then I use conditionals for actions. When only one reports battery, I get a notification that power is out at that location (could just be a breaker). When ALL report battery, I get a notification that house power is out. When any report mains, I get a notification that power has been restored.

Didn't work as I expected as they don't all switch to battery at the same instant for the whole house notification. So, I get multiple notifications instead of one whole house notfication. I supposed I should add a wait at some point to give them all time to report battery or remove the logic for all. But other than that, it's been working fine for several years. (as noted by the fact that it was written in the legacy RM and I haven't moved it to the new version yet)

Thanks. Ya i was thinking about it. As i have the hub on an ups but it will not last 12 hours.
I also only have one of these devices (ring extender)
The problem i have with your approach is that i cannot go fix the hot tub until power comes back on. And secondarly i am using a ring extender here and the driver also reports power restore on hub reboot that is why i had the specific check for outage first.

I believe with the long wait for event time it will still fire (when it comes back up) even if it times out and my hub is shutdown by my ups.

Just to clarify, hub is not on the same power? Or it's on a back up?

no hub is on an apc ups.. that that doesnt notify immediately of power outage.. only during its routine checks ie every 15 minutes or so... so that will stay up for 5-6 hours after outage starts.

so that cannot be used for the rule as normaly the outages are micro second or second and the hub would not know about that from the apc ups.. thus the ring.

So, mine reports power restored and only does it after power has been restored from an outage. Not sure why yours would be reporting switched to mains when your hub reboots other than if you have the option to evaluate on boot up in your rule. Mine requires that the status changes in order to report. So, on bootup, it doesn't report unless the power status has changed on the extender. (For instance, when the outage is long enough to require me to power down the hub, and then the power comes back on before I reboot the hub, THEN I get the power has been restored message has been tested and this is how mine works)

My Hub, wifi, cable modem and alert speakers are all on UPS's. In the boonies, we have multiple outages a year and some have been extended duration - As in almost a day to multiple days.