Power outage issue

So last night we lost power for a few minutes... When I got things back up and running suddenly my integrations didnt seem to work.
FOr instance, I cant shut off a set of hue lights (any of them) with the dashboard, or from the the hub page in general.
I can do all of that from the hue app though.
Yes I have rebooted the hub :slight_smile:

Looks like most other devices work... ANyone experienced this?
thank you

Try going to Settings > Hub Details and checking the time that is displayed. If itโ€™s off hit โ€˜get time from browserโ€™. Then reboot the hub one more time (using the settings on the hub, donโ€™t cut power to the hub again). Sometimes this is what I have to do after a power outage issue.

During a power outage, many devices will end up with different TCP/IP addresses. This can create some confusion for LAN connected devices, like the Hubitat Elevation Hub and your Philips Hue bridge. Zigbee and Z-Wave devices do not have this issue (they do have their own set of issues, though! :wink: )

Most routers have an option to create a DHCP IP Address reservation that is bound to the MAC address of each specific device. So, it is considered a best practice to create a DHCP Reservation for your Hubitat Elevation Hub, Philips Hue bridge, and any other LAN connected devices (for example, a Lutron Caseta SmartBridge Pro.) This will ensure that after a power blip, all of these devices have the same IP address and can begin immediately communicating with one another again.

It is also a very good idea to plug these devices into a small home UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to allow these devices to ride through a power blip. I have my cable modem, router, Hubitat hubs, Lutron SmartBridge, network switch, and a Raspberry Pi all plugged into one UPS.

The Hubitat Elevation hub is a small computer, running everything locally. Thus, it is somewhat susceptible to power blips causing database corruption issues if the hub happened to be writing a record to the database when the power blips. Hubitat creates an automatic backup of your configuration, including the database contents, every morning at about 2-3am. It can restore these backups in the event that a power blip, or other event, results in a corrupted database.

5 Likes

I do almost exactly the same thing (Odroid XU4 instead of RPi), and possibly have a useful addition.

If your RPi is configured to detect when the UPS is running low on juice, you can run a script to shutdown the Hubitat. I think that is way safer than a sudden power off.

Here's the script that I use:

#!/bin/bash
#
he_login=your_hubitat_hub_login
he_passwd=your_hubitat_hub_password
he_ipaddr=your_hubitat_hub_ip_address
cookiefile=`/bin/mktemp`
#
curl -k -c $cookiefile -d username=$he_login -d password=$he_passwd https://$he_ipaddr/login
curl -k -sb $cookiefile -X POST https://$he_ipaddr/hub/shutdown
rm $cookiefile

This script is modified from a script posted by @zarthan for nightly backups.

There's a whole bunch of things that can be done using http POST: backup, reboot, shutdown, zwave network rediscovery (this one's actually an http GET). Comes in handy.

2 Likes

I think I should use yours. Thanks

1 Like

You have more than one Hubitat hub? What advantages do multiple hubitat hubs get you?

I have Production and Development hubs. My family grew weary very quickly of me breaking home automations during the development cycle. :wink:

1 Like

There are two other common reasons that people have multiple hubs:

1. ZIgbee bulbs that work as repeaters are terrible repeaters for zigbee end devices like sensors. However, they work well as repeaters for other zigbee bulbs. So some people keep a separate Hubitat for their zigbee bulbs that repeat (eg. Osram, Cree, Hue, GE Link, EcoSmart).

2. Xiaomi Mijia/Aqara sensors are extremely picky about the zigbee repeaters they work with, and drop off the network easily (and randomly) if the zigbee network has xiaomi-incompatible repeaters. So some people keep a separate Hubitat with just Xiaomi devices and Xiaomi compatible repeaters. I fall in this category .....

Only problem is: There aren't that many Hubitats to go around these days. :frowning: