Power outage and Hub Acting odd

Yes.

But in theory, I think you could do a "replace" from the Zwave page if you have a C7. That way you wouldn't break any rules or automations where this switch is used.

@silverton38 I currently have two Zooz as replacement units. However, if this doesn't work out I may switch over to the Lutron.

@neonturbo where in the Zwave page do I find the replace button, I'm on C7 and not seeing it

I find the cheap Zigbee motions are great. They sell for about $20 and they just work endlessly with no issues. Mix them with Caseta and you have one solid home.

1 Like

Hit "refresh" on the bad switch. If it is not communicating, you should get a "replace" button. I made this one fail by taking out the batteries, but it should work the same for a switch that is dead or disconnected.

Thumbs up for Lutron! I have 30 of them. Never ever have I had an issue, except the one time I got two of them mixed up and when HE turned on the kitchen the third floor lights came on! User error.

1 Like

Power outages are never good for electronics including computers, TVs, streaming devices, and home automation hubs, etc. If power is lost when the device is writing to memory, the file system can be corrupted. Even worse are the voltage spikes that occur when power comes back on, especially if you have motor driven devices like refrigerators, furnaces, and air conditioning units. In some cases, the voltage spikes can damage sensitive electronic devices designed to operate at low voltages.

Thus, I suggest purchasing a Uninterruptable Power Supply for all electronic devices that you care about. A UPS contains a 12V battery that will maintain power to the device for a period of time depending upon the power requirements. Desktop computers can have large power supplies and can require larger UPS (1000 VA and larger). You can usually power your Internet modem, router, and home automation hubs from a single small UPS (650 VA and smaller) if they are in a similar location.

A UPS may not be large enough to sustain power for several hours, but it should give you time to power down devices in an orderly manner to avoid data loss and circuit damage.

If you value your equipment and your time purchasing one or more UPS units is a great investment. I have five of them around my home. Batteries will need to be replaced about every five years.

2 Likes

Also consider a whole home surge protector as well...

1 Like

how much did it cose you to get an electrician to install this..

I have not done this yet - waiting for our next renovation to start BUT the prices aren't too bad - my understanding is the electrician can easily install. I believe @aaiyar has one..

ya think i may have to bite the bullet but beyond my capabilities as it goes on the 120 amp hot lines so no way to turn off.

since i have had at least 5-6 switches die during flickering.power surges ... it is not the cost of the switchs but some i have 5 gang.. and a royal royal pita to get behind there and get all the wires in and live!!!!!!...

btw it was much easier when the neutrals were all in a bundle behind and not used.. much more room to wire stuff.

1 Like

No, you install it as you would any new circuit, then (and only then) put in a new breaker in a spare slot in your panel. The new breaker completes the circuit to the whole house surge protector.

that doesnt make any sense to me as that would mean that circuit would have to carry the entire 120 amp or 200 amp depending of the house.. unless this is only for circuit by circut protection...

either wqay i have no empty slots for circuits iln fact a second box was put in for the tesla charger.

ordered the original one you specified from granger as looks much more heavy duty.. amazon out of stock for awhile.. this does get wired to hot and neural the ciorcut is just to power the device itself..

@neonturbo thanks for the info on replacing, just finished my last two switches and if and when it happens again, I'll replace everything with Lutron (wife permitting :wink:).

2 Likes

Lutron is somewhat expensive due to the need for a Pro bridge and the cost of the individual dimmers and switches. However, that is one expenditure I have never regretted. They work reliably and the telnet interface between Hubitat hub and the Lutron Pro bridge is fast. The best thing about them is that they just work. Even if your Hubitat or Lutron hubs go down, you can still control your lights from the wall controls. Even the Pico remotes are linked with the switches they control so the remotes still control what they are supposed to, even without the bridge. Thus, if you sell your house, you can remove your hub and bridge and the new residents can still control all the lights.

When your budget allows, purchase the Lutron Pro 2 bridge and then start adding a few dimmers and switches as you are able. Put them in the most critical locations. If you have a three way or four way wiring situation, you only need a dimmer or switch at the primary location. All of the other locations can be connected using Pico remotes, which greatly simplifies installation.

2 Likes

So I fixed the remaining nodes, with the exception of the first that I ripped out of Hubitat (figuratively speaking) which I was able to remove. I now have this new problem which wasn't there yesterday.

When I try to remove it I receive the following errors in the log

sys:12021-10-24 02:13:51.573 pm Failed node 11 remove status: no reply
sys:12021-10-24 02:13:41.578 pm Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
sys:12021-10-24 02:13:41.571 pm Failed node 11 remove status: no reply
sys:12021-10-24 02:13:31.576 pm Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
sys:12021-10-24 02:12:43.421 pm Failed node 11 remove status: 0 SDK failure node is no longer in failed node list
sys:12021-10-24 02:12:07.289 pm Failed node 11 remove status: 0 SDK failure node is no longer in failed node list
sys:12021-10-24 02:11:36.441 pm Failed node 11 remove status: no reply
sys:12021-10-24 02:11:35.842 pm Finished Z-Wave Network Repair
sys:12021-10-24 02:11:28.839 pm Z-Wave Node 11: Repair failed node unreachable
sys:12021-10-24 02:11:26.448 pm Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message.
sys:12021-10-24 02:11:26.438 pm Failed node 11 remove status: no reply
sys:12021-10-24 02:11:16.623 pm Z-Wave Node 11: Repair is pinging the node
sys:12021-10-24 02:11:16.620 pm Z-Wave Node 11: Repair starting

and it will not allow me to remove it.

YMMV but I had a surge protector installed in my panel almost 5 years ago and unfortunately I still have GE Jasco switches fail from time to time. All of the failed ones are the 2017 (date code 17XX) ones so I personally believe that vintage had a bad component. All other years have been fine. Jasco support never acknowledge this when I call for warranty replacements but given they expanded warranty to 5 years they seem to be covering their tracks.

I still believe the surge protector is worth it just donโ€™t believe it will solve your switch issue. Many years back lightening stuck a tree in my neighbors yard and many electrical components were fried as a result.

1 Like

I'm not sure these things will protect against lightning.
You need lightning rods! :slight_smile:

Lightning rods will help divert induced electrical fields to ground from nearby lightning strikes, but nothing will protect against a direct hit.