Power outage and Hub Acting odd

We had a power outage recently and had a few of my zwave switches just die, blue light flashing, won't reset, and when I try to remove one of them them because I cannot exclude it, the hub tells me it is being used use by another app even though it is not. So, my question is, is it okay to just remove it.

Not showing up here

This is where it thinks it is at

This is the error

common.. probably not the hub.. i have had many zwave switches where the radio dies during power fluxuations.. the radio seems to be susceptable..

You can likely remove it without causing any issues.

Question to others - could he use a non-joined zstick and 'remove' it then join it back without rebuilding it? I know Zigbee can be factory reset and rejoined and they just magically work again - don't remember with zwave.

Does removing the device from the devices tab removes it from the hub's database as well as the radio's database? If the device shows up in the ZWave details page have you tried removing it from there? I think the C7 also has an option to "replace" a dead zwave device instead of "remove" - also from the ZWave details page.

Well I forced removed it, although showing up as failed on the device page, no matter what I did it wouldn't give me the option to remove it from the zwave page. However, I now have a ghost in my mist with no option to remove it...

what's next?

Yeah that's kinda what I thought might happen. Removing it from the devices tab didn't remove it from the radio's database. Make sure the device is not powered (circuit breaker). Keep clicking "repair" until you get a remove option. It may take a couple of iterations,

1 Like

Or a hub reboot sometimes.!

When you want to remove a dead device that is still in use in apps, it's a good idea to put a placeholder device in the app in its stead. That way, later, you can go back and replace the placeholder with the new device. Removing the device without this step will rip them out of the apps, leaving a hole. A virtual device makes a good placeholder.

1 Like

Rebooting didn't help, I was able to refresh it enough times to have it show the remove option but it didn't remove it, its still showing up under zwave....

@bravenel thanks for the advice. I know know what to do with the other two devices. How the moment is there an approach I can take to remove it, since rebooting and pressing the remove button doesn't work?

Can you copy and paste the log when you click remove?

i meant reboot and immediately try remove refresh till you get the remove button and remove a few times.. i think reboot helps becuase it has the devices is a different state till it goes through all of them.

Reboot is not necessary

I just did the repair and remove option and this is what I see in the log

Now refresh your z-wave details page.. It looks like removal was a success

And it did. What the heck? I won't complain as it is now gone

Here is what is showed the first time I tried to remove it

That message shows that the SDK was busy with another network management action when you clicked remove.. Looks like you were in exclusion mode..

That is odd, because I had not done an exclusion for about 30 minutes prior to attempting the remove. Nevertheless, it is gone and now to work on the other dead ones.

Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

If you do have to replace your switches; I would suggest the reliable GE Enbrighten Zigbee switches or if you want extremely reliable switches then buy the Lutron Hub Pro and Caseta switches.

Both are work well and are natively supported in Hubitat.

Yes.

But in theory, I think you could do a "replace" from the Zwave page if you have a C7. That way you wouldn't break any rules or automations where this switch is used.