Potential UK user needs device advice first

Hi, I'm after some advice. Currently have a number of internet only sockets and switches (sonoff etc) but a bit fed up of using multiple apps (although I do consolidate with Alexa) and also looking for something I can potentially use without internet (noty really a show stopper for me but nice to have)
Watched the reviews of the Hubitat and decided I wanted one but then they were out of stock so I forgot about it for a while. Now about to press the button but a confused by the devices that are available.

Many of the UK users on here say use the ST devices but that being the case why not buy a cheaper and more easily available ST hub ? I thought I'd be able to use multiple makes and devices that were relatively cheap but actually the internet based stuff is lots cheaper or if I do buy ST then there are often offers for Hub + Sockets etc to get me going.

Is anyone UK based using door sensors, light switches and sockets from the cheaper end of the market because at the moment I cant see the value in spending the extra on a Hubitat.

I don't have a problem discarding the current sockets etc I have but I don't want to start again and find I've messed up my buying choices.

Thanks everyone.

If you have Sonoff devices, you may be able to "flash" them and use with Hubitat (Or ST for that matter).

Aliexpress, eBay and watching for deals on Amazon is a hobby of mine :joy:
Also, is there a rush to build your system? I started small, and built it up over time, buy bits here and there, watching for deals etc, and even importing some Zigbee stuff from the US.

If you have an idea of what you are looking for, maybe we can help out more?

HE Vs ST? HE is miles ahead.

With ST, if their cloud goes down, so does your automations. I've had times here where I didn't even know the net was down, HE just kept on working. When I had ST, that was a good way of knowing one or two things. Either my net was down, or their cloud was. Mostly it was their cloud.

3 Likes

Thanks Royski, I only have a handful of Sonoff (mostly basic) in line switches, I am not worried about losing them as they were about £4 each. I've also some Teckon sockets and a few other things like a harmony remote and Blink cameras.

As you say there is no rush and I can continue to use what I have, there are a few things that I am particularly interested in though.

Sockets for lamps/Appliances are the most common thing to add/replace, they seem to start at about £12 up to about £60 which seems a lot. If I keep what I have then it defeats the object of buying a hub.

Mains light switches - no neutral wire - tried a few internet ones they all flash or fail even with the (I assume) smoothing capacitor. Ideally I'd like dimmable but not as important as reliable. I want to be able to turn off all the lights the kids leave on ! Would prefer to go switches rather than bulbs if possible.

I'm also looking for some door window sensors, open the door the light comes on kind of thing.

In the bathroom we have GU10 spotlights, I'd like a switch that can control those but of course being in a bathroom it's a corded pull on/off - never seen one of those.

I've SONOS speakers which connect to the wireless router, not sure if they can be integrated, walk into a room, play some music kind of thing.

When I look on Amazon and search Zigbee, many things come up that say 'no hub required' so I assume they aren't zigbee - would they still connect to the hub taking the load of the router even though they would rely in the internet ? Kind of a half way house scenario ?
Sonoff seem to do Zigbee now from places like Aliexpress, I'm guessing that there could be import duties on anything bought from overseas but other than that and the shipping times is that a reliable source?

Sorry for all the questions, I've tried to research and know a bit but maybe that is a dangerous thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Theses work really well. I have several over my house

There is a driver for them as well.

For aurora Aone also make some UK compatible devices which I know the HE team are making drivers for

2 Likes

For your WiFi devices, you can always use the inbuilt IFTTT app :+1: I did this for a few things, still do for my Wyze cams and WithThings sleep monitors. It works really well, so in the meantime, you can still probably use what you have.

Xiaomi do a no neutral double and single switches, using a custom driver you can have them as paddle switches, or buttons, depending on your need. I'd say these are around the £16-£22 mark. I have several here. They aren't officially supported, and do require a good Zigbee mesh, but they do work, and are quite cheap.

Also these off Amazon, I've heard these work.

The Zigbee version of this too.

These ones are wireless buttons

Contacts, buttons motion etc. These work, with a custom driver but as they are Xiaomi, not officially supported.

Also just seen these, I dont have any, but thats a great price!

You could even use Philips Dimmer buttons and covers for the UK switches, I used to use these along with Smart bulbs.

Theres also Ikea Plugs, these are £10 each, and also act as Zigbee repeaters, so good for the mesh :+1:

For the bathroom, I went with Smart bulbs, and if needed, cut the cord :wink:
Ikea GU10's were £7 each. Have a good few here and also work well. They are repeaters too.

Sonos speakers are supported :+ No problem there. Linked with Motion sensors, I'm sure what you want can be done :+1:

I have 3 Sonoff Zigbee in line switches, they work with the standard Generic Zigbee switch driver, so can recommend these, around the £6 each mark. I have one controlling my LED spots outside. I bought mine directly from Sonoff when they released them.

Every now and again, Hue will run a 3 for 2 promotion, and Amazon will also run their promotions, so worth keeping an eye out for those too :+1:
I've no had any import duty on anything I've bought off Aliexpress as yet. I bought 3 Zigbee curtain rails (which work great!) and no duty :wink: All my Xiaomi devices are from there too. 8 contacts, 11 switches (no neutral) a dozen or so motion sensors, and several buttons (since sold). I've not had any issues with anything bought off there (touch wood).

So hopefully a few options here, I hope they help.

1 Like

Forgot about these, I have two here also :+1:

I've a load of neo coolcam stuff which works well but there z-wave which some people (inc me) are having issues with

Thank you Royski certainly some things to try here :slight_smile: I tried the no neutral wifi Yagusmart, it was one of the ones I never managed to get ot work (on/off was fine just the flickering).

I've pressed the button to order so now I wait for the hub and go from there.

1 Like

With flickering you can try a big wattage bulb see if that fixes it, all mine are leds and some flicker at low end of dimmer so had to put in a bypass. They also blink or flash if there isn't enough bypass load when off as well, fixed with bigger bulb

1 Like

Ah yes, the flickering can be an issue with LED bulbs these days. Most switches need to be above a "minimum" load.

Good move! :slight_smile: Considering there are loads of Ex-ST users here, I think you've made a good choice :+1:

I have never seen these before. Do they work with HE as I couldn't see a driver

There is a thread on them here where @mmmaded mentions he's used it with the Nue Zigbee Switch driver: New Zigbee light switch - #81 by ElectronicFur

I did ask him for feedback but he didn't reply yet.

Sorry mate, I thought I'd responded. Nue Zigbee Switch driver works fine for me on single, dual and triple gang switches.

1 Like

Thanks, that's great news. Will buy some then. On the dual and triple gang switches, if you have one gang powered, can you use the others as switches without connecting them?

I have one on order so I can't comment, but have seen posts that they work.

EDIT. I should point out the one I have ordered is not a wired switch. It's wireless ZigBee

I do not have that configuration; mine are all connected. Sorry I can't say if that'll work.

1 Like

hi how you did you get yagusmart to work fully with hubitat?

There is a zemismart driver in the forum somewhere. Search Zemismart switch

Thanks