Possible to create a virtual thermostat and a temp probe to it?

As per title. Can I create a virtual thermostat and then link a temperature sensor for that room to it? I'm guessing the way would be to have WebCore update the temperature in the virtual thermostat as it changes from the room sensor - i'm not missing a more obvious way to just link it to the device itself am I?

Also is it possible to create a heat only thermostat and remove some of the other options/features?

As for the why. I've got a Heatmiser setup for my underfloor heating and to be honest I find it horrible. It's very unreliable, perhaps due to the fact that it's running two different wireless protocols - it has a hub that is supposed to have official Homekit support but is terrible an app that doens't update the wireless stats properly etc etc.

I've never wanted stats in each room and i've always thougth about just putting them in the cupboard connected to the wiring loom and using the remote temp sensor - but the batteries die on those quick and the range is poor.

So I thought about simplifying even more. The entiire Heatmiser hub, systems, wireless stats, wiring loom - do nothing more than trigger an on/off power source to the actutator for the heating zone. A Shelly Pro relay can do the same on/off - and it can be hardwired to the network with ethernet, where my Hubitat hub is always hardwired and can speak to it locally - rock solid and fast.

So all I need to do is setup temperature sensors in each room (many already have them) - which will either be a hardwired Aeron or, possibly even better you can have a POE Arduino board as a sensor hub - which would mean the entire system is hardwired and relies on no internet and no wireless protocol.

To achieve this though i'll need some logic for turning the stats on and off again. The simplest seems to be to use a virtual stat, link it to the temp sensors as mention - then it can also be added to Homekit with the new built in Hubitat support - webcore can run the back end turning the actuator on/off based on the thermostat set temp in comparison to the room sensor.

I can then setup automations, again probably in Hubitat rather than Homekit to create the "profiles" feature from Heatmiser where I can for instant automatically reduce the temp in the rooms we're not in at night etc.

Suggestions and input welcome! I'm sure someone else has probably done something similar.

Like this?

You configure the virtual device to use a temp sensor and switch to control a heating and-or cooling device.

1 Like

Oooh that looks amazing -yes! That looks like i'll have to do very little programming too - perhaps I can edit it to remove the cooling (as my product is heating only)

I suppose the only downside is, as it's a custom driver it won't be shared in Hubitat's Homekit integration. I can of course use Homebridge - i'm just trying to cut out as many points of faliure as possible if I can as that's one of my main gripes with the Heatmiser setup.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.