Possible switch from Vera - LiteTouch support?

I'm looking at switching from my problematic Vera, I think I may have reached the extent of what it can support and I'm not happy with the overall stability of it. There are 3 main things that I need integrations for though:

• Elk M1 Gold. It looks like someone is already working on this but it's not ready for primetime yet. I need to control the panel, but also control outputs, and get immediate notification for security sensors that do dual purpose security/automation (like motion or door sensors).
  • MySensors, and either have the Hubitat act as a controller, or act as an MQTT client so I can push data to AWS and then have it relayed to Hubitat for action.
  • And here's the big one... LiteTouch. LiteTouch was a whole building centralized lighting control system designed in the early 90's. Savant Systems bought them a few years ago and discontinued it. I wrote the currently available Vera plugin for it, which I've been using for about 5 years. (GitHub - signal15/vera-litetouch-2000: Automatically exported from code.google.com/p/vera-litetouch-2000) Replacing this is not an option since it would cost around $40k to retrofit something else in.
  1. Does anyone know if someone else is working on a MySensors controller for Hubitat?
  2. What about a LiteTouch plugin?
  3. If no one is currently working on LiteTouch, how hard is it to actually make a plugin for Hubitat? I already have all of the code written in LUA, I would just need to port it to Groovy I'm assuming. Is there a plugin template that I can start from?
  4. It appears that the Hubitat doesn't have a USB port on it. The interface to LiteTouch is a serial port. What's the best way to handle connectivity to it? I'm guessing a Pi Zero W with a USB serial dongle and socat, or an arduino with wifi?

Also, I've attached an image of my current Parent/Child network from Vera AltUI to give you an idea of how much stuff I have running through it.

I can't address the specific compatibility requests you have, but I switched from Vera last Monday and Hubitat is 100x better, it is exactly what Vera "claimed to be", only downfall is now I have a $300 VeraSecure that's only use is to be an extra siren for Nest Protects until Hubitat get reauthorized with Nest.

1 Like

@signal15,
Welcome... it’s been a while. :slight_smile:

For the MySensors stuff, it might pay to reach out directly to Henrik (hek on the Vera forums) to see if they have plans to integrate natively.

He hasn’t posted in a while, but he still visits the site, so a PM there might get his attention.

MQTT lib support has been asked for a few times here, and some folks have integrated using an external NodeJS bridge, but it may be moot if MySensors is planning to do a native integration.

For the Plugin conversion, I’d expect that you’d need the serial adapter as stated - AFAICT you have no local access to Direct attached devices like you did on Vera. I have to do something similar to convert my Proprietary/Closed Alarm over, and I’ll probably use a WizNet... or maybe a full Pi (to get wired Ethernet)

In the meantime, I’ve got it running on Vera, and using the built in Maker API, and a load of Virtuals, to get the one-way integration I need.

When I’m ready to do the code conversion, Ill likely model it on something like the DSC Binding to get a head start on the Groovy coding constructs (both App, and Device sides)

I did respond to your other post in the Elk M1 integration thread but here it is a short version. The Elk M1 app and drivers are still in beta but I do believe it can do everything you list. Currently Hubitat can see zone changes and react via Rule Machine. As of today it now can see output changes and and react via Rule Machine. I can arm and disarm via dashboard or Rules. Plus a whole bunch more!!!

By the way to somewhat answer your other questions. I am sure you can port a code you wrote over to Hubitat. I wrote the Elk M1 driver here and I am not a developer.

I am dealing with a similar dilemma. I have a Mono Price 6 Zone Amp that uses RS232. I was using a program called Elve (now longer being supported) and a custom driver I wrote to control. I am trying to use a webserver to integrate via telnet but haven't put much time into this. Currently it is somewhat integrated to Hubitat via HTTP Get Switch driver. This at least allows me to turn zones on and off via Alexa.

Cheers
Mike

@ekimmagrann, check mp6z on github. I wrote it for my Monoprice 6 zone audio. I use a pi zero w with a serial dongle. It provides a cli to control it, as well as a REST api. It's quick and dirty, but it works great.

Don't make fun of my code. :slight_smile: I know it's not secure in any way, but it's also not designed to be exposed to the internet or even any semi-public network. I wrote the CLI first, and the REST api was an afterthought. This is why I just called the CLI program from the Flask app. At some point, I'll merge it all together into a single flask app and probably add authentication via API key.

1 Like

@guessed, it has been awhile!

Don't use a Wiznet. Those things suck. :slight_smile: I've had good luck with RPi and socat, similar to this:
https://stb-tester.com/blog/2016/10/28/build-your-own-serial-to-ethernet-server

If you can live w/ wifi only, you can use a Pi Zero W and build something for under $10.

I ordered the HE last night and it looks like it will show up on Tuesday. I'm definitely not going to swap it out right away, I can't do that until I have both the Elk and the LiteTouch working. But, at least I can start playing with it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.