Pool Pump Control

This looks like it's meant for indoor only... I also don't want to attach a switch to control it. I assume this could technically be optional.

It appears the Aeotec doesn't accept a 15 amp 14/2 wiring... Maybe I'm wrong?

As for the GE unit, it looks like it does...

But the question becomes, I'm running my pool pump off a 15 amp 14/2 wiring today. It runs fine.... I posted that info above.

Why would I need something that provies 40amp 8 gauge wiring when the pool pump doesn't even require it?

If you install the unit in a weatherproof box, it should be fine. Switch control is optional here and you can always leave input terminals empty.

I'm looking to do the same, but my pump is slightly smaller.

Pump specs:
3/4hp, 230v, 5.9a (watts calculates to 1,242)

I'm looking at the Zooz Zen16 since I've got 2 garage doors on some detached buildings that aren't yet automated. Pump is inside one of these outbuildings so not being in a weatherproof box isn't a big issue. Cold weather could be though since we get well below 0C up here with Canadian winters. I'm picturing R1 and R2 wired to a multi-button garage door remote with the leads soldered to the remote itself. Then R3 wired to the pump. I just want to make sure this relay can handle the load before I order it.

I'm also thinking it'd be nice to add a wall switch into the mix for manual control of the pump when needed for maintenance. I assume the switch just triggers the internal relay so I could wire up any old 110v switch to sw3

I'm hoping someone with more electrical background than I have, or @agnes.zooz can chime in here with some insight.

That should be just fine for the R3 20 A relay on the ZEN16. Good luck with the project!

Thank you! Zen16 ordered :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just want to say that my Zen16 arrived today and I was very easily able to hook up the pool pump to it. I also installed a light switch and wired it to sw3 so I now have a simple overide switch above the pump instead of having to go flip the breaker at the panel. Brought it into node red and using schedex to put the pump on an 8hr/day schedule.

My motivation for this project was money savings. The previous owner had the pump wired straight to the panel and it ran 24hrs/day. A pool pump only needs to cycle the water once per day, which based on my pump's gpm should take around 7hrs. Running for 8 just to be sure.

I did some math based on our current electric rates.
@24hrs/day the pump costs $85.31/month to run
@8hrs/day the pump costs $28.44/month to run
That's a savings of $56.87/month.
The Zen16 cost me $54.95 (CAD). So I'll already be ahead after just 1 month! :smiley:

More functionality than I had before, ability to automate and saving money.... this one is a homerun.

no knowing where you live, but more savings could be had by running it shorter in the winter than summer.

It's about -40 here in the winter LOL we shut the pool down and just use the hot tub

2 Likes

I use the Smartenit ZBMLC30 for my pool and hot tub. They work great. Good support from them while developing the driver.

I created a parent/child driver for Hubitat. It lets you control each 220V relay separately. The parent reports power usage, so you can see if one or both pumps are running by the reported power consumption.

Each of my pumps pulls about 1500W and full load.

I use Node Red to turn on the pumps for 6 hours at sunrise, top off the water in the pool if needed, and set the hot tub temp.

1 Like

That sounds like the exact thing I need to get working. I just purchased a house with a pool, and am already afraid to see what the first bill is going to look like.

However, it looks like the Zen16 requires an outlet to run off of. The previous person had all of the pool stuff running off of actual circuit breakers (15A), and didn't install an outlet in the pool house, so I might need to find something that can just sit in between the pool pump and the circuit breaker.

Might be time to start figuring out how to install an outlet myself, just for the Zen16, cuz this thing looks like the perfect solution to automating the pool lights/pump/outdoor lighting all in one box.

Best thing is to get a variable speed pump, even a 2 speed one is much more efficient. You will cut energy use in at least 1/4. Then I would also limit time running to 8-10 hours a day as well.

1 Like

Either put in an outlet (it's quite simple to do), or look into the GE 40amp switch. It should be able to handle the load as well. But the installation for that is basically the same process as installing an outlet LOL

A variable speed pump is ideal. But you're looking at a good 2k investment to do it and still won't have smart control of the pump. So for $40-50 you can at least cut the single speed pump from running 24hrs down to 8hrs and get a 66% reduction in power use.

There also the Sinope 50Amp Zigbee relay that can do the job. I use it for my pool heat pump and it work really well ) but it also work for 115v pump :

1 Like