Pool Filler

Well. I finally used my ZEN 16.
i have a manual valve to add water to my pool. When the guy installed my pool i had an option of a manual valve vs a mechanical float auto. My pool builder said that the auto ones break often and if you’re paying attention you should catch it when water starts running down the road from the overflow. So i went with the manual valve. Well low and behold ive turned the water on and hours later the “Oh ■■■■” moment when i realize i left it on. So i dug down from the valve, added in a sprinkler valve, wired that up to my zen 16 and added a momentary switch. I have the default set to 20 mins on the relay so the longest it will go when i activate is 20 mins and while i’ll use the dashboard, my wife and kids simply need to press the switch. And with the toggle function on the momentary if they dont need 20 mins...just go push the switch again.
Great little product that zen 16. Now that i have automation on that side of the house i might run a few more sprinklers too off that zen 16

4 Likes

@agnes.zooz
Wanted to tag you on this
Cheers

@agnes.zooz
Any chance you are thinking about EU/UK z-wave frequencies for your products?
If you are using the 700 chip then it's software configurable

Andy

I was thinking of doing this with my Rachio irrigation. I have a couple extra zones. One of them could just feed a pipe into the pool. Then I can control the refill from my Rachio. :slight_smile:

Thanks for tagging me and for sharing your installation details, we love stories like that! Personally, whenever there's one less thing to remember thanks to an automation, or one less thing to get up from the couch for when you really don't feel like it lol, that's smart home at its best to me :laughing:

You guys ask often enough that we have to be thinking about it :wink: But nothing official to announce yet unfortunately.

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 7.58.22 AM

A couple years ago I saw a photo of someone's outdoor 'rinse shower' for a swimming pool. It made me start a project to build one. :slight_smile:

It operates much as is described here.. a sprinkler valve opens to let water through the electric in-line heater and then out the shower head. But for me, it's 20 seconds, not minutes :smiley:

What I found was, I'd wake up, look outside and see the shower on. No idea how long it had been on. So I added in a couple layers of OFF redundancy to turn off the valve every 20 mins, period, whether it needs it or not. You might have need for some similar redundancy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good point. Even with redundancy I don't like to rely on things that could be critical. Too many possibilities for things to go wrong.

That’s what I was thinking 1st but by pool filler is on the opposite side of my house and while I could have dragged a wire to the valve, the zen 16 was the easiest solution. And I really like the configurable duration and momentary switch for on / off.
Always looking for ways to improve the utility of my system.

1 Like

That actually reminds me of a development question ive been meaning to ask.
With most of my automations - i honestly don't care if they work perfectly every time. If i open a door and the light doesnt come on...no big deal, if i press a button and my light scene doesnt execute properly..no big deal - these are convenience routines . But some things like my garage doors being closed on schedule...or in this case...that the water really did shut off after 20 mins...those are important.

I'm certain that there are user solutions to monitor for these ( as an example - device watch dog) but i would make the argument that if home automation is to become a standard in everyday lives then there are critical tasks that if they DONT happen as specified - some type of warning is given...and if possible - these should be native to the system, not user apps.

I presume the best way to get verification is by an independent verification by another sensor.
For garage doors - after the command is executed...perhaps an independent contact could be polled for the correct status. Not sure what i'd do for the water...maybe poll a device for the voltage being applied to the relay to engage or current being applied...or perhaps there is a cheap flow meters out there.......but even knowing that a device responded to a command ( without independent verification ) would be useful...and if not - then within a definable duration - a notice is generated.

Maybe i simply dont understand how to set it up in Hubitat but i really hate finding out a device dropped out and therefor wasn't executing any of the routines. I know watch dog is a beneficial user app but ive tried it a couple of times on some test routines and it's not as quite intuitive as one would like ( and this really is where you separate the super users from th hacks like myself)

As a user request....Can Hubitat consider building in some type of native functionality to tell when a sensor has stopped responding? Im certain after that capability is native there might be other apps on how a person wants to get notified of that device.

Still love the platform...just want it easier to see when there is a deviation from the system. Cheers
Mac