Pointless Argument

Does anyone happen to know what the record is for number of posts in a thread after it was moved to the timeout room?

1 Like

yah no we're not there yet. Lots to go.

3 Likes

Dunno... ask Ryan :wink:

14 Likes

That would be the undisputed record holder for number of threads moved to the timeout room :slight_smile:.

9 Likes

I am just going to try to offer path to a solution, as much as I want to make other comments about security....

I know a device or app can be disabled by checking a box next to them. I assume this has some webhook or other call that could possibly be completed via a POST or GET.

Then couldn’t rule machine theoreticaly disable the device via mode?

Someone more familiar with the interworkings of the webhooks chime in....

1 Like

That's a "jumped the shark" moment!

9 Likes
  1. If this is a concern don't add the garage door to Alexa. Or don't put an echo in your garage for music use something else like a Google Mini or Sonos. People put way too much control/capabilities into Alexa/Google and don't think about this scenario which I give you is valid. Make it invalid by removing the problem of being able to voice activate the garage door from outside.

2. I don't think you can ever completely get around accidental things... that's why it's an "accident"... now the problem with accidents is that most people call it an accident when in reality it's "negligence". So do your part on dashboards and don't place the garage door button in between other buttons or put it on a security page where it's not easy to "accidentally" touch.

I understand the destination of your ask just not agreeing on the path.

2 Likes

I had asked about that months ago (though not thinking of webhooks, just of whether RM could hit the disable) and the answer was an unequivocal "no".

Now this would be a nice feature addition to the API. Being able to enable/disable apps/drivers via the API. Then HSM could run a RULE to enable/disable the app or driver of choice. This follows good design and is NOT a hack.

Again, I have a solution that lets me have my cake and eat it too. You have some great workarounds, but isn't the beauty here that we can do better?

There hasn't been any communication of why not to do this (other than I might be the only one who thinks it worthwhile) -- it isn't going to break something else.

I am not at a computer right now to really dig into the request response of the disable button. I bet someone could even write a disable app that would disable specific things based on conditions

I guess we have really become lazy these days that pressing a button to open the garage instead of yelling at Alexa is too much. I mean I like HA and all but it all comes down to security vs convenience, there is always a trade off.

1 Like

Lazy, maybe. But when you're dealing with a toddler, an 11-month-old, and an armful of groceries... your perspective changes.

That's the thing is I don't like workaround or hacks. I can't deploy a system based on workarounds because they always break.

In your case you could have a custom version of the app/driver made for your purpose and that would be between you and the author.

For a proper solution having the ability to do this from a system level would provide a feature not a workaround.

1 Like

Why not just have a remote in the house then, once your inside just hit the button.

2 Likes

I am getting old then... I prefer to press a button over yelling at Alexa. The button always works!

3 Likes

I do. She's called Alexa. :smiley:

Aren't you already inside the garage at this point? Or is this for closing the door? If so it's possible to setup a one-way scene (not sure if this works with Hubitat) but anyways you can have a "close" only for voice commands to only close the door but not open it....

This is why my lighting is basically all motion/mode/time based I rarely use my GH's for much. I have my garage doors setup to just notify me in case I forget to close them, then just whip out my phone and they are closed.

Edit: Hell both of our cars have the Homelink to close right from that, I can close the door like 4 different ways lol.

2 Likes