Plug-in outdoor dimmer recommendations

I’m looking for recommendations on a plug-in outdoor dimmer. Either z-wave or Zigbee. Preferably works with a hubitat built in driver, but not a strict requirement.

Maybe this product does not exist?

That's my suspicion... I have dimmable light strings on my 2 Caseta outdoor switches, but each light string came with its own cheesy remote for dimming & colors, so I have to use those proprietary remotes when necessary.

I am not positive but I think this might work with Hubitat. I didn't search the compatible devices or the forums so you may want to do some research here. But it is an outdoor Zwave dimmer, and one of the few I ran across when shopping for outdoor plugs recently.

2 Likes

It's not Z-Wave or Zigbee but I noticed Kasa now has a KP405 outdoor dimmer. I don't know if @djgutheinz has updated his fantastic app/drivers that support the Kasa devices (I didn't see it in a search) but it might be worth checking if he has any plans.

1 Like

I would assume it will work as a Kasa Dimming Switch and install automatically as same. Kasa has yet to go away from the command paradigm used from day on - building new devices on the code from previous, similar devices.

If someone takes the risk, I will work to update if the above is not true or only partially true. I have done it before (dimming switch and light strip) with good results. I also have some tools to aide us in any required development.

Dave

1 Like

Had a need for a ZigBee or Z-Wave outdoor dimmer for my soffit lights and gazebo lights because they are super bright at 100% so a simple switch wouldn’t do.

Bought two EVA LOGIK ZW39 Z-Wave dimmers which were all I could find that were supported by HE. They lost communication with Hubitat quite often. Had to exclude and include them to get them working again. That got old quickly, Couldn’t find an outdoor heavy duty dimmer that was either ZigBee or Z-Wave so I bought two TREATLIFE WiFi outdoor dimmers and have been happy with them. The app is intuitive, and allows for scheduling. It even shows the outdoor temperature, PM, humidity, air pressure, and wind speed. This data is most likely gleaned from a weather center because this device has no means to measure that.

Bought them in the middle of October and they have already updated the app and firmware.

I wouldn’t rule out WiFi.

Wanted to share: I tried the “Minoston” outdoor dimmer — it worked fine with my LED string lights.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

@roofone

What is the model number? I did not see an outdoor dimmer on their web site, only a WiFi or Z-Wave on/off outlet.

The same one linked to by neonturbo above: MP22ZD.

The dimming isn’t perfect (not linear), but very good. 50% is nearly as bright as 100%, but then it drops off rapidly with no flicker. I could even run them at 5%.

1 Like

Zigbee

Z-Wave Plus

These are switches, not dimmers, as pointed out below by @neonturbo. Sorry for any confusion, but I’ll leave these here just in case an outdoor switch might be useful to someone.

@ogiewon I believe those are switches and not dimmers, correct? I believe @didymus was looking for a dimmer.

It would be nice if Jasco made these in dimmer format. These outdoor switches seem to work fairly well.

Ooops! You’re right! Thanks for clarifying that point.

1 Like

I thought I was missing a new product I needed to buy!

2 Likes

What device type are you using in Hubitat, that works with dimming on the MP22ZD? I just got one and it was detected as a Aeotec Water Sensor PRO 7. WTF?

Generic Z-Wave Dimmer...it was set to that when I added it.

1 Like

@roofone Is the MP22ZD still working well for you? Does it stay connected? Do you whether it is UL listed? Any other updates to report on this device?

I need a plug in dimmer with 3 prongs on the plug, that will be in a difficult to access location. Z wave has been far more reliable in my setup than zigbee, so I'm leaning towards the MP22ZD.

Hi, yes — still works well. Use it regularly and haven’t had any issues.