Please Remove "Hubitat®" Prefix from Native App Names

The "Hubitat®" prefix in front of Apps like Dashboard and Safety Monitor make them harder to find because they are aren't listed alphabetically.

Other native apps such as Basic Rules, Button Controllers, Groups and Scenes, Rule Machine, etc. don't have "Hubitat®" in front of them so why do Dashboard and Safety Monitor?

3 Likes

Personal thought/maybe. I believe that these are apps that the Hubitat staff is trying to protect from use by other companies (i.e., proprietary concept and functionality). The Hubitat@ in front may provide protection (recourse) from other companies using the concept w/o license from Hubitat.

1 Like

While it's a bit ambiguous - I agree with the OP. Hubitat in front of titles on a Hubitat only interface is redundant and the implementation is (forgive me) sloppy.
The topic "trademark generic terms" is a bit ambigous but:
"Generic Terms Are Not — and Can Never Be — Trademarks"

The answer begins with the principle that, in general, the law does not allow a company to claim as its proprietary mark a generic term, that is, a word that identifies the type of product or service involved, such as “Software” used to identify a software product or “Apple” used for fruit (as opposed to as “Apple” used as a trademark for computer technology: such arbitrary uses of words are highly protectable). Since everyone deserves the right to accurately identify the type of goods or services it sells, to allow a single company to claim trademark rights to a generic term would impoverish the language and unfairly hamper competition.

1 Like

I believe there was a discussion along the use of 'Hubitat' in apps some time ago.
I think one of the requests was that all 'official' apps should be prefixed with Hubitat and all user apps would not be.
In a way this seems more logical to me.
This way you know what is an official app and what is not. Also if all official apps start with Hubitat then they will all be grouped together in the app list.
Nothing ever came of it though.

3 Likes

Some previous discussion:

3 Likes

A separate "Native/User" column would allow Apps to be sorted by type or alpha.

1 Like

I could go either way. Either name all the built-in apps with the Hubitat prefix. Or make none of them have it.

Either is fine, but having a mix of some one way and some another way is frustrating. Standards and Consistency are what make a good User Interface

3 Likes

Using the Hubitat prefix consistently would help in some ways, but will also creat a "log-jam" in the "H" section of the list and require folks who are unsure to look in two places (the normal A-Z location and within the "H" section.

I'd prefer dropping "Hubitat" entirely from app names and having an "Author" column on the apps page that can ID the developer.

2 Likes

Did you just walk into the room? :wink:

2 Likes

A big thumbs up for making this consistent from all the borderline OCD people out here.

3 Likes