Please recommend a wifi scanner app for ioS

I’m looking for an analyzer app that includes looking at WiFi channel strength. When I was on Android, Network Analyzer included that feature, but on iOS it doesn’t appear to. Is there a good alternative available? Thanks!

I don’t think you’ll find an app, because I seem to recollect that iOS doesn’t give apps direct access to WiFi hardware.

I have used WiFi scanner apps on my Macs.

1 Like

Apple's own "AirPort Utility" app has a wifi scan option -- it's honestly the best thing I've ever found for iOS.

3 Likes

How do you get it to do that?

I’ve used the airport utility app when connected to older apple router hardware like the Time Capsule.

But since then, I didn’t think it really did anything besides just show me the local gateway my phone’s connected to.

1 Like

Yeah, I don;t have anything AirPort-related on my network these days, but once installed, go to the app's settings that are in the phone's own Settings app -- there should be an option for "Wi-Fi Scanner"... Enable that.

Then in the AP Utility app, the "Wi-Fi Scan" option will be a link in the upper right corner -- the bad text coloring makes it really easy to miss.

3 Likes

--That doesn’t appear to work if you don’t have an Apple base station. Any suggestions for windows then? I just won’t be quite as mobile--

Scratch that. Helps if I read all your post!!

I'd suggest a cheap Android tablet. I've found it ends up being useful for a few things. You can get a good 8-9 inch one for about $100.

:exploding_head:

Definitely works for me (with my all UniFi network) after I enable the setting as @hydro311 explained.

Never had any clue that was in there.

2 Likes

@lcw731 did you ever migrate to Unifi equipment? Know you were considering it a while back. Unifi makes a companion device called the WiFiMan Wizard which allows you to scan your environment:

I bought one when they were on early access and it’s been super helpful as I was helping friends setup their Unifi systems.

Yep, that was the part I missed, but that Also still isn't really giving me what I was looking for which was the graph representation that I previously got with Network Analyzer. Good, just not quite what I was looking for.

No, not yet. I'm still considering it, mostly still in the planning stages as I have some cable runs i need to do first. I haven't done anythng on either project yet,.

2 Likes