Please help me outsmart my 9-year-old using HE!

Yeah at one point was considering packetfence... but that is a bit of a commitment in terms of setup.

https://www.packetfence.org/

1 Like

you can assign static ips to important devices and install a night firewall that only allows access via those ips.. nic spoofing will not matter.. A lot of work though. The kid could try to take over one of the ips and if really smart shut down one of the devices so an ip conflict would not occur.. They can always get around you.

cell phone ip does not really matter .. you have to take away the phone as they can always turn off wifi anyway and just use the phone network.

2 Likes

You're sure he hasn't installed another OS on another partition (or USB thumb drive)?

3 Likes

Yep, may want to lock down the BIOS on that NUC to require a password (write this down somewhere safe!) and then make sure Secure Boot is enabled and configured correctly to prevent the system from being booted from another source. If possible, add a lock on the case to prevent it from being opened and the BIOS settings reset via a button/jumper. Kids are creative, but they don't have our years of experience!

2 Likes

Valid point....he's not into partitions quite yet, so I will lock down the BIOS w/ a password and enable Secure Boot this weekend, as well!

2 Likes

For increased peace of mind, place all your passwords and PINs (especially ones for online banking) in an envelope and forward to me for safekeeping. We wouldn't want that info to get into the wrong hands...

:wink:

2 Likes

and your cloud url's from maker api

1 Like

Think of how many networks you could break into by dropping trojaned 32GB USB thumbdrives in school parking lots. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

We have 4 kids in this house age 5, 7, 8, and 12.

All of the devices iPhone, computer, xBox One and Nintendo switch have parent screen time control setup. We can set how much time they are allowed for each app or games on devices and also lock the devices that it can only be used between 3pm to 8pm.

Some devices like our oldest iPhone is only available between 3pm to 9pm but he still can call 911 or any of family members that is in approved list 24/7 so he not able to use iPhone chat or surf while at school. He did have to use it at school once to call his mom because he was being bullied.

We also can set time limit on each app in the device for each kids even on Xbox One or app on iPhone that if they use it up for the day they have to send a more time request which automatically pop up on my or my wife iPhone and we can approve more time which they earn by doing chores or completing their school homework.

One problem is that each kids school provide them a laptop and we don’t have access to set up screen time on it so we have to set up a firewall in our router to restrict YouTube usage. The domain we block are both YouTube.com and video.google.com The YouTube app link to video.google.com but unfortunately some streaming network like History channel uses video.google.com to store its video on so we have to turn off firewall every time kids lesson on school computer need YouTube video for classes or if we want to stream History channel.

Just Google Windows10 or insert device name screen time to learn more about it.

With 4 kids, it helps us a lot.

3 Likes

Playing cop is a total PITA. We use a combination of Microsoft and Apple parental apps. Along with a Circle (same basic idea as Fing). The Circle is the best at being able to extend time limits on the fly. None of these "solutions" are great.

I've had me a good lol at this thread. I feel your pain I got a teenager who is much the same way.

The ingenuity of this community makes me smile.

3 Likes

AND the ingenuity of our teenagers... so there is hope after all. :rofl:

4 Likes

and disable any unused admin accounts or other accounts on the PC.
With the internet kids these days are sysadmins at 7 years
He might have you begging him for access :joy:

2 Likes

My Bro was just dealing with some tech issues with he son and got a Gryphon Router to control his internet access. I use google home's family control to lock down my daughters devices based on time. It just turns there internet off while leaving everything else on.

1 Like

I'm sure all of us are dying to hear how things went after you set up the new SSID for him and the SSID scheduling on your Mist.

Did it work?

And most importantly, how much do we have to pay to see the video? :wink:

3 Likes

No place I've lived has the heat in a single bedroom depend on the AC power to that bedroom being on; it's all central heating systems. But obviously don't pull the plug on the heating (or cooling) if they need them, no!

1 Like

The "kid SSID" is a winner!! Found him asleep on his own accord at 10:30 last night when I went to bed. Usually it's 3 warnings before I need to pull the cords! I assume he went to bed at 9:30 when he lost internet.

Although I didn't get to the Windows parental controls yet, phase 2 planning will start tomorrow.

BTW - he just went to curl up on the couch a few minutes ago once the internet shut off for the night. :slight_smile: Maybe we will get a few more weeks of peace before he re-motivates!

8 Likes

That's just the thing - you bring every technical skill set together on this community, and you get some pretty great ideas.

4 Likes

whats to stop him from using the non-kid ssd.. just that he doesn't know the password? We'll see how long that lasts lol.

1 Like

Shhh...I'm messaging him now to offer to sell him satellite internet access in exchange for his college fund. I think he's going to bite...

:wink:

8 Likes