Please explain best practices in multiple hub situations

I have 3 hubs total.
1940 house with plaster and block walls with separated studio house in the back, and then a pool pump on a GE Enbrighten z-wave plus plug issue. plug constantly looses connection even with multiple GE Enbrighten switches in between and closest switch 7 feet away.
I use #1 Master hub for nearly everything (located front house and has no issues reaching furthest switches)
I use the slave hub #2 for Iris v1 stuff that had issues being on master hub.(located front house, also no issues reaching back house)
I just got NEW HUB #3 to put in Back HOUSE by itself to operate the pool pump and maybe a few switches.

My question is can I just add the new third hub in proximity to the pool pump? Will the mesh route to the closest hub, or do I actually have to remove the pool pump from hub 1 and add it to hub 3 for it to take the hub three route and then hub linked to hub 1?

Also doing the same on a 3 level water tower home in Seal Beach. hub on top floor wont reach middle floor through the GE enbrighten switches where I am replacing 48 12v relays with aeotec dual nanos. Going to put 2nd hub near the nanos and a third hub on first floor.
I guess I hoping there is a way to get them to route through the hubs as a repeater rather than having to remove devices already on the original hub and repairing to new hubs!
Any clarity is greatly appreciated

this one. the devices will route back to the hub they're connected to, so if you're putting hub3 closest and want it to utilize that, then you'll need to pair it to hub3

1 Like

Each hub has it's own mesh. You can connect the Hubs devices to each other using HubMesh via your network either via WiFi dongle or the preferred ethernet connection. Also recommend keeping rules local to each hub as much as possible that way if one hub goes offline the others won't. Of course with your 2 hub setup in the front thats more by type so local rules on each wouldn't make sense but the one near the pool would. Also consider the area of maximum coverage for devices you want to use in that area and network availability when finding a spot for the new hub.

I'm with the above. Put a hub near the pool and attach the unit to that hub and use hub mesh. That said, even though you have mains repeaters in your mesh, a few things will always be a hindrance. Metal boxes for one. They are hell on signal. If possible, replace with plastic. Do you have plaster and lathe? Late 20's and up they tended to use chicken wire or other mesh wire to bind to the lathe to help adhere the plaster. This creates somewhat of a Faraday cage effect for lack of a better term. Another is galvanized pipe or a combination of all of the above. If you can add beaming repeaters strategically this will improve mesh function and strength.

1 Like

I’ll just jump on here to clarify that “hub mesh” has nothing to do with the Zigbee/z-wave network mesh. Hub mesh is a feature on the hubs to allow sharing of devices between hubs.

As has been stated above, the Zigbee/z-wave mesh is unique to each hub and you cannot use another hub as a repeater on an existing mesh. When you have more than one hub with Zigbee enabled, make sure that the hubs are on different Zigbee channels.

1 Like

So. I've not retrieved it from my mailbox yet (it arrived there about 5 min ago--so it may take me 5 min after I finish this to get it :slight_smile: )...

But, my second C-7 has arrived and I'm trying to sort out how to split things up for the best results.

I've got a relatively small (3 BR ranch w/loft and basement) house. In general, everything should be within direct z-wave range of my original hub (or no more than one hop) but a few devices have chosen some interesting routes.

I've got a few Zigbee buttons, some "integrated" (e.g., Hue Hub) devices, and a bunch of Z-Wave devices. Only 4 door locks and 2 garage door openers are S0. I have 2 S2 auth door locks and one S2 Auth light switch (it controls the garage doors). Everything else is Z-Wave plus or better.

And, I have a bunch of rules, scenes, virtual devices, etc.

For simplicity, I was thinking I might export the RM apps and import them on my new hub and let it handle the "code" stuff while leaving the physical z-wave and zigbee devices on the original hub.

But--I'm interested in other suggestions and ideas--especially those born of experience. :slight_smile:

I've had some issues with my Z-Wave network seeming to get tied up for (usually brief) periods of time when devices don't respond or properly report status. I was hoping to make some adjustments that might result in some improvements there, if possible.

Note: My S0 devices really aren't used a lot (my least used door locks and garage doors), so they shouldn't be responsible for much Z-Wave mesh traffic even tho S0 is a bit chatty. Probably the most intense traffic comes from setting the LED strips on my 9 Inovelli light strips (it seems RGBW commands are chatty).

So...thoughts?

Just my 2 cents - Seeing that you said you've had issues with Z-wave in the past, maybe dedicate one hub for only Z-wave devices and use the second hub for Zigbee and everything else. If you have rules and or integrations that only use the Z-wave devices, I'd keep those on the Z-wave hub. If you do this, don't forget to disable zigbee and Z-wave on the hub where they are not being used.

It would be prudent to try to diagnose the Z-wave issues you are having as well to try to remove he root cause of those issues

1 Like