Play music from streaming services or content sharing platforms on Chromecast

I am trying to include any of these actions in my HE scenarios (without any Google Home devices) . So far, I've managed to send TTS commands to my Chromecast and play music from my local DLNA media server, by using a local http link.
If I try an external link, like Youtube or Soundcloud, I get this error message:
su.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Unable to load media (playTrack).
Questions are:

1. What kind of external links are supported?
  2. For streaming services that require authentication, like Tidal, is there any way to do this?
1 Like

The link must be direct play. As in, it does not require any clicking or any action at all after the link is entered into your browser.

Not that I am aware of. This is a limitation of all of the cast implementations.

Isn't a youtube video link the direct play type? At least, in my browser, it is.

No, it still brings up a webpage. You need a link that provides the media directly. Like you get from a github raw link.

Thanks for explaining this!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.