Planning Migration from Wink 2 to Hubitat

Thanks in advance, as the title says I am planning to migrate from my Wink Hub 2 ecosystem to hubitat, but have not purchased a hub yet. I've been very happy with my Wink system but increasingly my sense is the company may not be long for this world, which makes me sad. After some reading I think hubitat will be a reasonable choice to transition most of my existing system, but I was hoping the community here would be able to provide some guidance as to what will transition easily and what won't. Before I start I want to make sure I have everything I need assembled and have some idea regarding what will transition smoothly to hubitat and what won't.

Here is my list of devices that I access primarily through the wink architecture:

1. Lutron Caseta wireless dimmer switches, some with pico remote access. My understanding is that this migration will require my purchasing a lutron smartbridge, correct? From what I gather if I'm OK with just accessing the switches through Lutron's software directly I can just use their L-BDG2 bridge which is around $80 US. But if I want to use hubitat to access these I'd have to spring for the more expensive Pro bridge. Do I have this correct?

2. GE Link Smart LED bulbs, some of which I control using a Caseta pico remote, zigbee. I've seen some threads that discuss these, so I assume these are supported through hubitat's generic zibee drivers?

3. Leviton Z-wave+ plugin switch. No idea.

4. Hampton Bays/Home Decorator's Collection Gardiner WINK Enabled Smart Ceiling Fan/Light. This is one device I REALLY need to work, I do not want to have to replace this or change the light switch if possible. The fan itself incorporates the zigbee controller, the light switch it gets power from is just a standard switch. I have seen a couple of threads that look like they discuss interfacing with Hampton Bays in-wall controllers and remotes, but it's not so clear to me regarding support for this device with the built in controller.

5. Quirky tripper sensors for doors and windows. Seems these are supported as generic zigbee contact sensors?

6. Quirky Overflow water sensor. No idea on this one.

Those are the most critical devices. I also have ecobee thermostat, Chamberlin MyQ garage door and Nest Protect smoke alarm and Ring doorbell, but at least for now I can access these through their native apps easily enough and can work on hubitat integration as time permits. Any suggestions on moving forward would be appreciated.

thanks

1 Like
  1. Correct you need the pro bridge.

2. Not sure.. did you check the compatible items list? List of Compatible Devices - Hubitat Documentation

3. Have several. Work under the Generic Z-Wave Driver. But there is also a custom Driver out there, which I have found works better. Edit Here is the driver. Support of OTA firmware updates for Z-Wave / Z-Wave Plus devices

4. I know I have seen discussion on this one, some searching on the topic should get you what you need.

5&6.. Sorry I'm no help.

That is correct. You need the Pro Bridge to integrate with hubitat. But the benefit of that is that the control is 100% local as Hubitat connects to the bridge through telnet on your lan, not through the cloud. You can find the pro bridge cheaper here and sometimes on ebay.

Yes....but these bulbs are notoriously bad repeaters and they are definitely not high up on anyone's recommended list. How many of these do you have? If only a couple, I would recommend changing them out with Sengled bulbs. These can pair natively to hubitat and don't provide any interference in messaging as they don't act as zigbee repeaters.

This works well on Hubitat. You just want to make sure that you have a good Zigbee repeater (outlet or smat plug) near the fan. They have a tendency to have weak signals. I assume that the wall control you speak of connects directly to the fan unit through RF, the same way that the handheld does? If so, you wouldn't have to change anything, just pair to Hubitat.

Welcome to Hubitat! Make the plunge, you won't regret it.

You need the Caseta Pro bridge. You can find them on eBay for ~$80.

These work with Hubitat

These work with Hubitat.

These work with Hubitat. You will need a zigbee repeater close to each of these because their antenna is pretty crappy. Another former Wink user, @neonturbo, has modified his with an alternative antenna that works better.

They work. I don't like them.

It might work. But there are lots of other Hubitat-compatible leak sensors available.

There's a built-in integration for ecobee and a community integration for MyQ.

Are you sure this remote is a Pico and not the similar-looking but quite different Lutron Connected Bulb Remote? A Pico uses the Clear Connect wireless protocol, which is proprietary to Lutron (though Wink licensed it and that's probably the only time Lutron will ever let anyone do so). The Connected Bulb Remote is Zigbee Light Link and can be paired directly to bulbs but will not work as a button device on Hubitat (I'm actually not sure if it works at all, but if you wanted to keep the bulbs there you'd have to try to pair them both to Hubitat, and then presumably the remote has a way to link to bulbs like similar ZLL remotes can do, but I haven't used one myself).

That being said, if you'd rather have a Pico (or any button device), people are willing to pay insane prices for these things for I-don't-know-what reason (yes, they can reset Hue bulbs--but so can other things now), and you'd probably be able to afford that Pro Bridge with a bunch of cheap Picos. :slight_smile:

...or if you meant that you set up the Wink hub to control the bulbs like a "switch" using a Pico, then nevermind. I'm not 100% sure of what all Wink was/is capable of, but I do know a lot of people who had the Connected Bulb Remotes and far fewer who had Picos, so I just thought I'd check!

1 Like

I tried it with my CBR and couldn't get it to work. Did the same thing that I did to get it to contorl bulbs directly on ST and it wouldn't work on Hubitat.

Almost. The short-lived Staples hub had a Lutron radio as well. The implementation in Wink and the Staples hub were both sucky - neither permitted Picos to control devices other than Caseta devices.

I believe the reason for the high prices is was the the Connected Bulb Remote was the only button controller that was officially supported by Wink. Soon after Lutron discontinued them the prices started to skyrocket. When I jumped ship nearly a year ago I listed a set of 3 for $185 on ebay--the going rate at the time was $65-$70 each. They sold within 2 days at full price.

The Wink situation is very sad but entirely unsurprising.

The Quirky Overflow sensor will work, but I have only been able to get it to register as a Generic Zigbee Contact Sensor not a water sensor. It reports CLOSED when dry and OPEN when wet. Its not perfect, but it can be made to work.

Have you tried changing the device type (driver) to Generic Zigbee Moisture Sensor, then hitting the Configure button? (This can be done from the device page in the admin UI, if you are not familiar.)

1 Like

Thanks to all of you for the great advice. I've been able to set up my new hub, paired with a new Lutron Caseta pro bridge, and have the majority of my devices listed above moved over. I'll summarize what worked below, but first I have a question about triggering events for devices that don't appear to be interfaced with hubitat for now, Nest Protect smoke alarms and Chamberlain MyQ garage openers, which on wink were both supported.Since I have the native apps for both installed to provide notification if I'm not home, this isn't crtitical. But that being said, setting up some automation would be nice, i.e. smoke alarm triggers lights turning on. I assume that would best be done using IFTTT?

As for my transition experience so far:

The Quirky trippers and Overflow seem to work fine, and I can confirm the comment made above that this comes up as a generic zigbee contact sensory, where "closed" is no water detected. That will work fine. I did try changing the device type on the overflow to Generic Zigbee Moisture Sensor but that didn't seem to work for me.

The Hampton Bays/Home Decorator's Collection Gardiner WINK Enabled Smart Ceiling Fan/Light I have working, although doing a zigbee reset of the fan took a few tries. The instructions in the fan manual were confusing on how to do this, but I got it going eventually.

My I replaced the GELink connect bulbs with Senled bulbs and they work great with pico remote. I am having an issue with a GoControl ZWave door sensor, but I think I'll just replace this with a new zigbee contact sensor.

Thanks again for all the help. Great community.

1 Like

Sorry, but that Staples info is incorrect. :frowning:

Staples worked the same as Hubitat.. allowing the Pico's to just be buttons. Press, press-and-hold. In other words, the Fast Pico implementation on Hubitat is the same as what Staples had.

I had reduced and reduced my use of StaplesConnect til all I had on it were the Pico's. Everything else went to SmartThings and OpenRemote. I had Hubitat for about a week, purchased a Pro hub and within a couple days I was finally able to turn off StaplesConnect. :smiley:

1 Like

Huh. I could never get that to work. Must've been me. :frowning_face:

The ONLY reason I bought a Wink 1 was to replace StaplesConnect, since it was just about dead THEN. Wink sucked at Lutron, although probably made Lutron happier than StaplesConnect did. Limiting use to only Lutron may have been a political decision, vs technical. :slight_smile:

I'd say 90% of the Pico's I'm using today were purchased for my StaplesConnect system, and are doing today via Hubitat exactly what they did when I had them paired to StaplesConnect. I've "overlayed" additional button pushes/holds, but all the original purposes are using the same buttons as then.

I have 4 of the Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan Controller and I purchased more Picos just for them. Light is all the 'push layer' while the fan is all on the 'push-hold layer' of the Picos.

1 Like