Physical light switch with smart lightbulbs automation

Hi all

Hubitat user from the UK

I wanted to know if this would be possible?

I have a physical light switch (dumb) which turns on a Zigbee osram+ dimmable bulb

what I would like to happen is when I turn on the switch the light will turn on and then automatically dim to a set level or have the light bulb remember the dimmed setting I had it on

currently what is happening when I turn off and on the physical light switch the bulb comes back on with full brightness

I am still a noob at this automation

Thanks in advance

Smart bulbs are meant to always have power so that the hub can interact with them and set the level. In the situation you describe you might be better off with either a smart dimmer switch and dumb bulb or a remote like a OSRAM Dimmer switch which can be installed over the dumb switch (so it always stays on) to control the smart bulb.

There are other button controllers as well some don't fit over the switch then you'd probably want a Switch Guard which is just a plastic cover to keep the switch on.

Here's the version of that for you in the UK.

Also available for the UK would be the hue switch.

But either of those would require you to remove your manual switch most likely as they don't fit of EU style rocker switches which are much wider than decora style or toggle style US switches.

You should look into the Lutron Aurora.

Except he can't. He specifically asked for devices supported in the UK. Aurora is not available in the UK.

Missed that, too bad, he has the exact use case. I didn't know the Aurora product was geo-limited.

Thank you for your help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.