Physical Events Not Logging Consistently

ok have one those will replace this one.

dont need the routing … the xbees seem to be doing a fine job there.

thank you.

got the 45856GE hooked up … all seems to be good.

since these are power monitoring … is there a way to see the power data? changing to zigbee power outlet and hitting configure would that do the trick?

thank you.

Question Bruce, is it only the smart Z wave devices that supports push updates? Would it make sense to modify the generic the way dimmer and generic z wave switch (Because there are generic Z wave smart switch and generic Z wave smart dimmer) to allow us to configure a polling intervals? This way we do not me I’m all encompassing will manager role and we can have her device refreshing Intervals define

The smart tag on a device and or the zwave plus tag do not guarantee physical reporting.
We do not configure polling in the drivers, this can be done using RM.
Excessive polling can and does lead to performance degrigation, my advice would be to move your legacy devices to closets and or other locations where they aren't likely to be used physically, then replace those in your high usage areas with current stock of devices that do report correctly.
This is one of those areas where price doesn't automatically equate to performance. You can pick up good zwave dimmers and switches that support the central scene class for under 40 bucks, these also support button functions.

That is my long-term goals. But, I do have five of these to replace. Using refresh in RM Does change the rules in that they have to be conditional not trigger-based. This is my leading motivator to convert. In the meantime, I have already implemented a refresh rule on my critical dimmers. Thank you

N[quote="mike.maxwell, post:184, topic:466"]
You can pick up good zwave dimmers and switches that support the central scene class for under 40 bucks, these also support button functions.
[/quote]
I’d love to hear your recommendation or even a link.

Thanks.

ZWP (includes button controller features)

ZLink (same device as ZWP)

GE (Non central scene)

and GE zigbee

Also the Zooz dimmer and switch (non central scene)

There's likely others as well though I haven't tested them personally.
I own and have tested the above all are supported and discovered properly.

2 Likes

OK, so this thread’s mostly about Z-Wave switches, but I’m going to sneak a lock question in here. @mike.maxwell I installed a YRD256 last night, all seems good but just like @cwwilson08 found, I have to manually refresh. Deadbolt operation via RM isn’t a problem for me, but manual operation from HomeKit via Homebridge is.

I’ve added a button to HomeKit to manually refresh but when I try to automatically refresh based on the lock opening or closing, it doesn’t seem to work consistently. Is this due to a lazy refresh from Z-Wave locks in general? Is it to save battery life?

I could set up a periodic refresh at 10 second intervals, but I don’t want to hit the lock too much because I am concerned that will drain batteries. Is this a valid concern?

Also, despite the title of this thread, the lock state does not automatically update in the driver (Generic Z-Wave Lock), even when the operation is via a digital event.

Nope! This is a completely unacceptable answer. How could that ever be an acceptable support answer?

I have at least 20 GE on/off switches that do not register state when using the physical switch (one closest to me is ZW4005 - 1513 on switch). I tried to set up the polling app and even tried to create a rule. Both did not properly update the status of the switches. Now I have 20+ switches that need to be removed, excluded and added back to Smartthings. I really wanted to like this platform, but I am not about to spend $800+ to update switches that work (albeit through frequent polling on Smartthings).

Does it work if you manually run the poll or refresh action on the device/details page? If so, there must be a problem with the polling app or rule. But if the manual poll or refresh does not work, the automatic one will never work, either. (I've never heard of a manual poll action not working, but the old GE switches are odd and not everyone's experience is the same with them, so who knows.)

You might be able to get some help troubleshooting this problem instead of needing to migrate them back to a different controller, with the exclusion process also reported to be somewhat of a pain on these things, too. :slight_smile:

I appreciate the response. I was able to force remove the devices from Hubitat, ran the general exclusion in ST, and easily added them back to ST. This is all disappointing. I spent a good part of a day moving things over only to find out that many “older” GE switches do not work. The solution is to buy better switches...awesome. These switches have worked since the beginning with ST. Now they are a problem with a new platform?!?!? I don’t get it.

I will say that I'm very disappointed with GE switches and dimmers performance on HE, fortunately I just have 4 more to replace, including one dimmer that it is z wave plus version but still giving me inconsistent reports, I have everything else zooz and they work fine.

The GE plus dimmer I had to change the driver to the non smart to add it to the poller with the other 3 switches and one old eaton receptacle that I will replace too.

I have a house full of old GE switches. Poller never failed to update the status correctly, and the Refresh button has also always worked consistently. Sounds like there is something unique in your setup, either a hardware problem, or something wrong with how you set up the apps/rules. Make a post detailing the problems you are seeing, the community is great about helping with this kind of stuff. Hard to troubleshoot when nobody knows you are having a problem.

2 Likes

Yup, weird.

I exclusively have GE switches/dimmers, and all work 100% 100% of the time.

They are all zwave plus, so I don't use poller and can't comment there. I have some 14291 switch, some 14287 fan control. some 14294 dimmer, some 26931 motion switch, some 26933 motion dimmers, and a few 14280 dual outlet dimmer modules.

I REALLY like the new motion detecting switch/dimmer and am replacing a number of my other switch/dimmers with that model.

I guess no device is 100% for everyone, or it would be the only device in the marketplace. :slight_smile:

Do the devices you are removing need a new home? :grin:

A few of the displaced units I am putting in locations I hadn't planned on automating (because, why not if I have an extra switch/dimmer). But I may have a few extras that I'll part with in the end.

I'll give y'all first dibs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can someone else that has a Leviton DZ6HD dimmer check thier log to see if physical events are reported? This was working for me and recently I noticed all events are being registered as digital. I do have one GE dimmer that still seems to be registering physical events.

If I use a custom driver I do see a "hail" command when physically turning on/off the switch, but with the stock "Generic Z-Wave smart dimmer" it's always digital.

I have also tried to use "configure" and "refesh" under the device page with no success. I have replicated this issue with multiple dimmers.

All dimmers have latest firmware v1.2.

I have six of these dimmers and they do show physical events using the Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer driver. They are all on the latest v1.2 firmware.

The driver suppresses the Hail() messages by default, but you can see them if you enable debug logging from the device page.

Can you try to exclude and re-include the devices (and possibly pull the air-gap on them)? I suspect if they don't include correctly, the built-in driver does not enable the device-specific code needed to handle them.

Here's my experience when migrating from Smartthings. Some of the dimmers would show physical events and some would not. The devices which behaved correctly had a slightly different fingerprint than those that did not. I was able to fix the issue by excluding and re-including the "bad" devices, at which time they showed the correct fingerprint.

I captured the fingerprints in case I needed to contact support:

Correct -- reports physical events:

Incorrect -- does not report physical events:

The difference is in the MSR (manufacturer specific report) and the manufacturer. Interestingly the incorrect case shows Leviton as the manufacturer -- which is the opposite of what one would expect.

Thanks, this was the issue and my finger prints were set to the incorrect one. The big question is why did this change? Mine were all correct and working and then at some point changed. Literally every single dimmer is messed up. I am now going to have to exclude/re-include over 30 devices.

You should reach out to Support or maybe @mike.maxwell can comment because changing driver, save, and clicking configure should do the same as exclude and re-include.

1 Like