Physical Dashboard Options

In my kitchen I have previously mounted an Android Tablet for a physical dashboard to have quick access to Hubitat web dashboards. It works well using Fully Kiosk Browser to "wake up" the dashboard when I approach it. Two problems. First, as the Android tablet is always plugged in, I've had 2 LiPo batteries swell rendering the tablet dead. Second, could really use 4K resolution as some of the dashboards are big.

So looking at 4k touchscreen options - wondering if anyone else has accomplished this. 4K touchscreen monitors are expensive (but worth it if this works) - could drive with Raspberry Pi, NUC PC...

Anyone have feedback? Much appreciated!

My wife and I were on vacation recently and the condo had a large dashboard, probably 16X24 inches. My wife could see it in my eyes and the wheels turning in my head. "It's too big." I have always wanted a large, mounted dashboard. Maybe someday.

1 Like

My only recommendation would be to be more to the point with your title of the topic, if it is a 4K touchscreen you want....

Yeah, doubt that size would get spouse acceptance, there are 15 inch variations out there, may try.

Installing the Tasker app for about $4 on the tablet and plugging it into a Smart plug will solve that problem. I have one tablet and two phones on the wall set up that way. Let me know if you want details.

Tasker will allow you to do a whole lot of things with Android devices and is well worth the $4. That Will cover installing it on all of your devices, not per device,

4 Likes

Yes please! :smiley:
As much as I like Tasker it's another rabbit hole that I'm avoiding as much as possible.

And I'd love it if there was a separate thread outlining the process I could point people to. :wink:

3 Likes

Clever idea, thanks.

Both @sburke781 and I have recommended Tasker for this on many occasions so let me see what I can find. Stand by.........

EDIT: It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would:

2 Likes

I'm also in the process of making it a little easier.... But still some work to do before a proper release...

Thanks for the link!
I'll give it a try on my older tablet that has a swelling issue.
Funny that my oldest tablet is fine after multiple years of constant charging. :thinking:

I'd suggest looking at portable secondary monitors, typically intended for use with laptops:

• good size for a home dashboard (smaller than primary 4K monitors that would be more suitable as a touchscreen dashboard in an office lobby)
  • thin/light (easier to fabricate a wall mount)
  • single-cable (USB-C), unlike many primary 4K monitors
  • relatively cheap (some under $200 today)

Amazon search for 4K touchscreen portable monitor

1 Like