Phillips Hue Lights

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help answer a question I have, I am heavily invested in the phillips Hue Eco systems and was woindering if there was bi-drectional communication between the Hue Hub and the Hubitat hub.

On smarthings when you powered on the hue light from the hue app or hue dimmer paired to hue hub you would see the light is powered on in smartthings.

When on hubitat it seems above is not the case, I have a Hue dimmer paired to the hub but and when this switched on a hue light I do not see it as being switched on via the hubitat hub which is messing with some of my automation's.

HE polls Hue in order to sync the devices to the correct status. So it can take a minute or so for it to sync up. As long as you activate the lights from HE then it will show the correct status without delay (on dashboards for example). Otherwise you may have to wait a while for the sync to occur. I recall in the Hue app you can set the sync timing.

The above is correct. The setting you're looking for is the polling interval in Hubitat's Hue Bridge integration app. Rarely, I've seen people note that this doesn't work at all, but usually the issue you describe is just not waiting long enough for it to happen. (The default is 1 minute, but it can be changed, and again, modifying lights from Hubitat directly whenever possible will eliminate that.)

SmartThings was pretty aggressive about polling as I recall, so while it wasn't quite instant, it was still usually within a few seconds. In any case, Hue can't directly "push" changes to any integrations, so they all rely on polling at some interval.

Thanks for the answer guys, I had already changed the polling to 10 seconds but I do not seem to get the desired effect.

if I power lights on using the HUE app or the Hue Dimmer paired to the hue hub no matter how long I wait the dashboard switch never changes to on, also when I check the devices page the switch stays in the off position and never updates to say it is on. it seems like there is only communication from the Hubitat hub to Hue, but not the Hue hub to Hubitat.

Could the setting be asking for the number of minutes between polls, rather than seconds? I can't check, I uninstalled the integration app...

Actually it was a drop down selection from nemory,... Ignore me...:slightly_smiling_face:

I've seen a few people report that lately, but I'm not sure that it's been acknowledged as a problem. Could you have anything preventing the communication between the two? (vLANs, firewalls, etc.--putting Hubitat on the same router/switch as the other if you're not sure would be a good idea, but then it's still odd both that communication works in the other direction and that you can get some data from the Bridge, since the list of lights and groups comes via a similar mechanism.)

I did write a custom Hue Bridge Integration ([RELEASE] CoCoHue: Hue Bridge Integration (including scenes!)) but don't want to steer you towards that as a solution to a problem you shouldn't be having. :slight_smile: That being said, if you're in a hurry to get things working, that is something I'd actually be able to troubleshoot. Otherwise, I might suggest dropping Support an official line to let you know of your problems with the built-in integration to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks, going to try removing\re-installing the application, as for the network sides of things nothing should be blocking it, both are plugged into the same 24 port swtich and on the same Vlan, no firewalls or security in place on the local network.

The polling is set as 10 seconds

Once thing I noticed is this, looks like its set to poll once every 24 hours.

Poll options is 0 - Not sure what it should be

And looks like username is missing.

Wondering why its not set up correctly, maybe I missed something as part of the initial set up I guess, will try removing, reinstalling and resetting this application back up as it seems soemthing is a miss, probably user error here :joy:

So managed to re-sync my account by pressing the button on the hue bridge.

The lights are now turning on and showing that in the dashboard but I have a group with 2 lights in my hall way via the hue groups and scenes app (I didnt sync the hue rooms) but it seems the hall lights group doesnt turn on.

Will try syncing my rooms over to see if that works, but thanks for the advice from everyone!

1 Like

Yeah, username missing is definitely a problem, but then communication shouldn't work in the other direction, either. The 24-hour "bridgePoll" is, as far as I can tell, just an SSDP request Hubitat sends periodically to see if the IP changed. With polling enabled, you'd have another scheduled "poll" job at the selected interval that would be the light/group state polling.

Glad you got it working!